Please help me with my new rig....

Hello all

I am finding that my previously stellar rig is slowly but surely falling behind the times. I need to upgrade to play all the spiffy new high-tech games out there (when time allows), but I DO NOT WANT TO COMPROMISE MY COMBAT MISSION GAMING! How's that for customer loyalty; builds his machine around one game. Anyways, this is what I have now:

Asus motherboard (will need upgrading for faster memory)

Athlon 1.0 Ghz CPU

Geoforce 3 Vid Card

SB X-live (iffy on the name, not one of the newer ones)

500 Mhz of PC-133 Ram

Large HD, non-Raid (sp?)

Win 98 SE

If we assume money is no problem, what do you guys recommend I change? I can do just parts, or I can do a whole new system if you suggest. Here is your chance to play "Build the Dream Machine", although I am not dropping $5000 or anything like that.

Additional note: The main reason I am posting this request here is that I know that CM has some issues with certain video cards, and I am not up to date on that. I hope to kill two birds with one Sten by getting around that issue *and* getting some good hardware advice.

Thank you bunches,

Jonathan

Who is Bunches?

Hey, we all like to upgrade when we can. I guess it would depend on what kind of games you enjoy.

Me personally.......I would keep the Win 98E just because it's the most stable for gaming.

As far as a 3D card....stay away from the new "FX" cards or the Radeon"Pro" cards! A Geforce 4 is a nice upgrade if you want to keep your CM games running well.

A nice processer is the Intel P4 3.3 GHZ (800 meg FSB)and a Intel D875 motherboard.

That is about all I would have in mind for an upgrade that would play "all" games well and not compromise my CM games.

Good Luck :D

Bill

[ August 24, 2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Panzertruppe ]

Panzertruppe,

I know Win98SE is limited to just 500 MB ram, but does it limit the kind of ram I can use? I assume the board you refer to can use some quite powerful ram.

I just happen to have a brand new Geoforce 4 Ti 4400 128 meg card laying right here.

Thanks!

Jonathan

In fact Win98SE isn't limited to 512MB, but you have to ensure that you set these values correctly to ensure that you don't get startup problems.

In system.ini -

[vcache]

MinFileCache=?????

MaxFileCache=??????

I'm running with 1024MB, but I'm not actually sure how much use Win98 makes of this.

Regards, Len

Although the CM games account for most of my gaming I still enjoy the great FPS games, and the ones in the works.

That is why I recomended the D875 board and the P4. I'm not sure about your question conserning types of Ram. As far as the Geforce 4....keep it!

We all have different opinions on what is the best hardware... so make sure you shop around before you decide on what to purchase.

Bill

PS...I would like to hear what "Schrullenhaft" recomends. ;)