Getting enemy off other wing

Strider

I played a 2vs2 bot fighter game. My U.S. bot wing, shot down one of the bad guy's leaders. The bad guy's wingie took took over an put the U.S. bot leader at a disadvantage. The other bad guy wing was at a different altitude. My wing was at the same as the battle that just took place. I was able to play a Half Loop against the bad guy and received two bursts, but did not get him off my buddy. I then played Maneuver and this did get him off my buddy.

Question is, why didn't the Half Loop get him off, and/or give me the bursts that would have been due?

Would the same type of situation occur if I had played one (or two) Maneuver cards, and then played the Half Loop?

Seems strange that you got 2 bursts but didn't change position......not what I would have expected at all - I would expect he either counters your move and you get nothing, or he doesnt' and your 2nd element gets an advantaged position against him - it shouldn't matter whether it's your 2nd wingman or 2nd leader who plays the card.

Sounds like the computer was treating the enemy as if he was still a wingman - so you get shots but don't change position.