What might have been t-44 with 100m gun .

Originally posted by Hannibal:

In hps's game tigers on on the prowl the t-44 was in the game and it had a 100 mm gun .From what I have read the russian made a prototype with 100 mm gun .If this tank had seen action would it have been the equal of the panther .

Unfortunatly the 100mm was just a bit too much for what was essentialy a reworked T-34. Besides with the T-54 entering testing in the mid 40's there was no need for it.

Bit of a stretch for the T44 to be in the game at all anyway according to the "Russian Battlefield" website. As I recall they say that although the T44 was developed on '44 only a grand total of (3) ever saw combat - all with 1 unit. According to them, the Soviet Generals did not want the T44 deployed because of the problems it would cause with re-training tank crews and with parts supply. Assumedly the T34/85 was working out well for them at that point. Also says the T44 with 100mm gun was prototype only - no combat at all.

I'm no grog, only a grogette, is this about right?

- Old Dog

Originally posted by Old Dog:

Bit of a stretch for the T44 to be in the game at all anyway according to the "Russian Battlefield" website. As I recall they say that although the T44 was developed on '44 only a grand total of (3) ever saw combat - all with 1 unit. According to them, the Soviet Generals did not want the T44 deployed because of the problems it would cause with re-training tank crews and with parts supply. Assumedly the T34/85 was working out well for them at that point. Also says the T44 with 100mm gun was prototype only - no combat at all.

I'm no grog, only a grogette, is this about right?

- Old Dog

Yep, the reason that the T-44 is in is the same as with the Jagdtiger. They were available (in fact the sovs were reequipping several units with it) even if it didn't see combat.

T-44 on Russian Batlefield site

Note that one prototype had a 122m gun!! :D

That sloped 120mm glacis must've been fairly useful for keeping the driver alive, and does anyone know where the 2nd mg was mounted? Persumably 1 was co-axial...but wheew was the other - there's no AAMG (well not of the type listed), none in the turret rear and I can't see any sign of a fixed mount in the front glacis??