New Scenerio Idea???

This has probably been done already.. in fact, it may even be a ascenerio that came with the game... but i was thinking it would be a good idea to make a scenerio depicting the German attempt to breakthrough at Falaise. This was a rather large operation, so it could even be an operation! If nobody grabs at this and i get the time.. i may try it myself.. Correct me if there already is one like this though... id like to see it.

Zaff'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zaffod:

This has probably been done already.. in fact, it may even be a ascenerio that came with the game... but i was thinking it would be a good idea to make a scenerio depicting the German attempt to breakthrough at Falaise. Zaff'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hate to nitpick, but it was a breakout.well it was more of a sneakout, since most Germans got out without their equipment through the "Falaise gap" that the Allies failed to close for three days.

It's probably too big for CM, but specific actions like Panzermeyer's sneaking out after he lost his unit could make tense scenarios.

Henri

I started one Zaffod, but never finished it, and I won't in the near future. I hope you will do it. We need one on that theme. I have some that are about battles around that time, Chambois, Meyer's Wrath, Wrong Hill, but nothing on that one. Go for it, I say!

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester/Designer

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

W. Bill... Do you just read a few pages on the battles and get a feel for the terrain in your head.. then go with it? or do you just weigh the odds together and come up with a general idea based on the location of the battle??? Same with units?? do you research alot in finding the EXACT number and types of units that participated or not?? I think i would want to be more picky with making the terrain as accurate as possible and not worrying so much about the correct number and type of every unit that took place in the battle... that seems like it would take a loooooottt of time... Whats your strat???

Zaff'

Well Zaffod, it is still true.

Investment=dividend

Plain and simple. You should remember a few points.

1. CM in one scenario will only cover a tiny part of the bigger event that went on for days. So you'll only be creating a piece of the action.

2. Do your background reading first in general. Picture the battle in your mind using maps to reference the places mentioned (I HATE books with names of places and no maps! mad.gif

3. As you read, your attention will be drawn to some aspect or particular smaller battle within the larger conflict. Grab that and try to get as many details as you can.

4. Maps of the Falaise area can be found. Moon is an excellent resource (beta tester, the guy who wrote the CM Manual).

If you are having a hard time finding good maps, post a request here. I'm sure someone will help you.

5. Remember, no map on the level of CM will be as accurate as you wish. How many trees? How many dips in the ground?...etc.

But if you can get a topographical map of the area where your battle took place that should be enough.

The same goes for units, follow the above suggestions.

Some pretty good books on the subject that I have found are:

Steel Inferno, Reynolds

Death of a Nazi Army, Bruer

The Battle of the Generals, Blumenson

Six Armies in Normandy, Keegan

Normandy, Osprey Campaign Series #1

And others. Some of these have some pretty good maps. You'll have to fill in some gray areas.

One final thing. If this is your first, don't think too BIG! Beginning designers think they have to make the biggest. But the biggest is not always the best wink.gif. I'll leave that thought biggrin.gif

Think in terms of a few companies and a corresponding amount of tanks, or perhaps a tank heavy confrontation with no more than 15 or so tanks on each side.

Do a map you are comfortable with, say 1200 by 1200 or in that area.

And find yourself some good testers. I've said it before. I'll say it again. Testers make scenarios good! You can never say enough good things about conscientious testers. They are the linemen who allow the running back to score. There are some good folks on this forum who will help you.

That should be enough to get you going, my friend. Let me know how you do. And hurry, before I get too enthused about this biggrin.gif

Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

• 2 weeks later...

Thnx so much for the info... I (amazingly)have some of those books you mentioned.. though alot of my others pertain to the eastern front (CM2... hurry up!!!! smile.gif I guess ill just whittle through a few of em and see what catches my eye first.. I did recall checking a book out at the lib about Whittman... damn cool book at that... one piece of action i'd like to depict is his last less-than-triumphant stand at... uhh yea.. smile.gif Anyway.. do you know if thats been done before?? I have looked in the CMHQ and ASL battle site and havent seen anything related... I keep having these cool ideas but am afraid they have all been done already... good researching pays i guess. :P

Ill let ya know what i come up with.. perhaps you have the time to test a scenerio or 2??? BTW, just got done w/ your Elsdorf battle - awesome stuff, lemme tell ya! keep it up!

Zaff'

Guest Michael emrys

If I might add one thing to this discussion, After the Battle magazine devoted the major part of an issue back about 20 years ago or so to the Falaise Gap. It was a splendid article with an in-depth account complete with large-scale maps and photographs, both those taken at the time of the battle and at the time the article was written showing how the same ground looks today (it's changed surprisingly little).

After the Battle is a good resource for a lot of famous fights that gamers might want to model in CM. I believe all their back issues are still available from various sources. If anybody is interested, e-mail me at emrys@olypen.com and I'll see what I can find out for you.

Michael