sneaking-unhiding platoons problem

Say you use the "move + hide" command for 3 squads and an HQ. You move them into a large patch of woods, but there endpoints are too close together, so that when they reach that point, some of the squads have to sneak a bit to the right or left. That's great, seems realistic. But, once the squads that sneak to the right or left reach a comfortable position, they unhide. That does not seem realistic.

So you can say well, don't move the squads so close together to begin with. Sure. But what if you want them to be as close as possible? You can't gauge precisely from a distance.

It seems realistic to me that once these crowded squads spread out a bit (still in the woods), they should follow through on the hide command given to them.

It's difficult to describe this but I'm sure you all know what I mean. It happens all the time. Seems like a reasonable tweak to me. Where am I wrong?

Originally posted by pavlov:

Try hitting the hide command after ordering sneak , or any other type of move command.

No, you misunderstood me. I mean this happens specifically when have used any "command + hide" (i.e. "fast + hide"). If the end points are too close, the computer chooses to "sneak" a few units off to the sides. Once this computer initiated "sneak" finds its endpoint, it unhides. That's the problem.

Originally posted by Gaylord Focker:

[QB]Simply add a hide at the end of the commamd, like when you have a unit run,to assault or something, you can go sneak +hide so the unit will hide at the end of it's previous order. QB]

Hmmm . . . I still must not be communicating the problem because of the solution you suggest. What I meant to describe was a computer initiated action AFTER moving with a combined function like "sneak +hide".

I don't know how better to describe this. How about extreme for simplicity: If I have 100 squads, I give them all the command "move+hide", I direct all of them with this command to the exact same point in a large patch of woods. When all 100 of them reach this point they cannot all be there because there isn't enough room, so the AI takes over and automatically has 99 of them sneak to the front and sides to give them their own space. When they have reach their "new" space, they just stand idle, not hiding as you originally assigned them to do.

LOL, well I understand what you're saying quite clearly. I haven't encountered that before, but I suspect that you will just have to order your units to not move to the same spot.

BTW, let's see how many don't understand this minor-to-me bug: You order a unit to Move and Hide and it encounters a minefield which causes it to Sneak and Hide (It inserts the Sneak command and adds the Hide command). When it finishes Sneaking, it will go into Hide mode yet still show the previous waypoint(s). The effect is to see the unit Hiding (not moving, of course) but with its remaining (previously assigned) waypoint(s) with the 'and Hide' command attached. Toggling Hide does not effect the unit's Hide status, only the 'and Hide' command for the final waypoint. The only way to fix this is to delete the waypoint(s) and start again. I know my grammar ain't perfect but the illiterate need not comment tongue.gif

Cheers!

-gabe-

LOL, I knew it.

I'm not trying to be offensive, since I am aware that many people read a bit quickly. It is just what I said. No more, no less. It is very easy to reproduce the bug that I mentioned, which happens to be the opposite of the what this thread title is. Unfortunately I don't have internet access at home so I cannot post a picture.

Cheers!

-gabe-

Walpurgis,

I'm pretty sure that you can make minor adjustments to the units waypoints after you have plotted them in by right clicking and dragging them around a little. My suggestion is to roughly guesstimate where you want them to go, and once they get close and you have a better view of their destination then go ahead and fine tune the waypoints so the endpoints are not so close together. I don't think this adjusting of the waypoints will affect their command delay either but I have never bothered to check.

Originally posted by DBaron:

Walpurgis, My suggestion is to roughly guesstimate where you want them to go, and once they get close and you have a better view of their destination then go ahead and fine tune the waypoints so the endpoints are not so close together. I don't think this adjusting of the waypoints will affect their command delay either but I have never bothered to check.

This of course is what I do, but it makes for micro-management overkill. It seems like it would be a simple thing to tweak, AND it would enhance the realism.