why i keep losing *territory* in operations?

In multi-battle operations, even if I hold on to a particular building... when the battle moves on to the next day, my setup doesn't allow me to place units in that building anymore.

I'm punished -- pushed back -- even though I held the enemy off successfully.

How does CMBO determine where I start ea. battle and how come I don't get rewarded for holding off the enemy [which even Close Combat lets you do]?

The operations in CMBO make for a lose-lose situation. If I hold off the enemy I get pushed back anyway in the next battle of the operation smile.gif

thanks for advice here

PS: where do i put my prisoners. What happens if i just send them off the map (?) ALso if i want to preserve my trucks for the next battle, can i send them off the map so they don't get hit?

Well, this is a sad fact of life we all have to deal with... :(

Operations were created within the limits of the game engine, and this is the best they could make it.

You'd better do what a lot of us do already , give up playing operations! I did so a long time ago when after a fierce battle for a town i was pushed back the next day by the computer and could start taking the town all over again... :mad:

But hey! There is plenty more stuff to enjoy in CMBO/CMBB.

Hope this helps and doesn't make you cry tongue.gif

Sturmy

Originally posted by fire1470:

In multi-battle operations, even if I hold on to a particular building... when the battle moves on to the next day, my setup doesn't allow me to place units in that building anymore.

I'm punished -- pushed back -- even though I held the enemy off successfully.

How does CMBO determine where I start ea. battle and how come I don't get rewarded for holding off the enemy [which even Close Combat lets you do]?

The operations in CMBO make for a lose-lose situation. If I hold off the enemy I get pushed back anyway in the next battle of the operation smile.gif

thanks for advice here

I assume you play defender. The game reflects the fact that IRL a military unit would withdraw to a new MLR on safe ground if its forward line of resistance is compromised by substantial enemy forces. The only way to avoid this is defeat enemy attack, then COUNTER-attack and gain ground.

PS: where do i put my prisoners. What happens if i just send them off the map (?)

Concentrate them at a rally point guarded by an HQ unit. Computer removes captured units after battle and counts them in favour to your victory points.

ALso if i want to preserve my trucks for the next battle, can i send them off the map so they don't get hit?

You can move them off map to deny being hit (hence neutral victory point balance), but AFAIK you won't get them back in the nect battle.

The problem is that the game can't take the tactical value of buildings, rivers, hills and other terrain features into account.

Thus, the front line is always a near-straight line driven right across the map (sometimes you will get a small bump where a substantial force penetrated deeper into enemy territory, but nowhere near the kind of salient such a penetration would realistically create).

When you set no man's land to 0, you will minimize the ground lost through the redrawing of the front. But it still won't bulge to include any forward positions you may have taken.

Furthermore, you'll be half-solving one problem and creating another. With no man's land at 0, you'll have the completely ridiculous effect of units finding themselves at knife point with the enemy right from the word go (especially against the AI, which tends to setup its troops in a straight line along the front in operations).

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

Furthermore, you'll be half-solving one problem and creating another. With no man's land at 0, you'll have the completely ridiculous effect of units finding themselves at knife point with the enemy right from the word go (especially against the AI, which tends to setup its troops in a straight line along the front in operations).[/QB]

Personally, I do not think that is a flaw. Both players can see where the fronlines are. The burden is on the PLAYERS, not the computer, to allow for some space if that is in the attacker/defender's interest. Don't blame the AI when you set up your units to close to the enemy!