Arnhem OP questions - SPOILERS

Well, I started playing for the first time this OP, as the Brits.

I have only played the first battle, which went well, quite a tense street fighting. Lost about 10 men in all and one PIAT so far. Like all WBW's scenarios, quite a high standard, thanks WBW. smile.gif

I had this first cool experience of a Puma BBQ. I mean, the flamethrower guy managed to torch the bastard just as the turret was turning towards him. What a scene!!!

Also, quite enjoyed the carnage on the bridge, as the Sicherheit Jerries were running to man their positions. 3in mortars rock!!!

I would appreciate any info on some of the following:

- The torched Puma disappeared after the first battle! Is it going to be re-used? Hey, the seatcovers are burnt. biggrin.gif

- Ammo in the second battle is quite lower for some of the units. Is it based on how much ammo they used during the first battle? Will the situation worsen (yeah, I know what happened in reality...)?

- I managed to scram a couple squads across the bridge in the last turn, behind smoke. Yet, in the second battle, there are white deployment areas (I believe they are neutral) on both sides of the bridge. Why was I pushed back?

- I already decided the southern bridghead (across Arnhem) is indefensible, so I won't even try to get there. There are just a couple of houses and I'm gonna get blown to pieces if the Jerries come up (and they will) with any armor at all. So I'm not crossing the bridge at all. Is it going to worsen my score? I hope not as it is an Axis Destroy Op.

Thanks for any answers.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Hey Coralsaw! I'm glad you are enjoying the operation. It was a lot of work and to know someone is deriving gaming pleasure from it is very pleasing to me personally. Thanks.

The Puma, where was it when you torched it? They usually stay put for the next battle but sometimes no. I don't know why that is. No, I'm sure it won't be back. The smell alone would be enough to keep folks from climbing in...kind like climbing in a toaster.

Ammo is ressuplied in varying amounts with each new battle. You will usually have to call your shots toward the end of each firefight carefully.

This is a thing the computer does automatically. It does it on the basis of "no mans land" set in the battle parameters. I don't like this either. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have made this smaller. Even so, the computer inevitably pushes you back some from your furtherest point of advance. I guess that is to simulate your straightening and strengthening of your lines.

Often the deepest penetration is not always where the final line of battle is drawn.

The operation was not really designed for you to hold both ends of the bridge. You need the defenses of the north side or you will get creamed. This was true historically too, of course, and I tried to reflect that in the operation.

As with any game, you cannot recreate everything exactly because of game limitations. Others who have tried to do the operation in their own design have discovered this for themselves. Its very hard based on the limites of the game to recreate every historical nuance of the real thing.

But no, you are not expected to hold both sides of the bridge. Historically that was to be the job of XXX Corps, to take the south end while Frost and his men held the northern end.

No, it won't worsen your score. In this one it is not based on terrain conquest and holding the north end is a symbolic type of victory that is not reflected in the final score. But YOU know if you can hold it and keep enemy losses higher than yours.

If you do, you have succeeded against extremely difficult odds and are to be congratulated.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Wild Bill Wilder,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I found the first battle a bit sneaky (all these Jerries jumping about from unknown places), but really good fun. Thanks.

The Puma got torched smack down in my territory. Hope it doesn't come back.

The ammo replenishment is a piece of good news. If there was no relenishment at all, I'd be doomed.

It's gonna be close...

Next battle is hide and ambush all the way. I'm not moving across the bridge, noway...

CoralSaw

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...