When are mines visible?

Lawyer

I tried some anti-personnel mines, but little flags sprouted up that my opponent saw. I thought they would be hidden until triggered by the enemy.

When are mines visible to the opponent? What makes them visible?

Thanks for any help.

------------------

Just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some respect....

Well, if you put a mine in any sort of road it would be easily detected and avoided by troops.

Unless those troops had me as their Sarge, in which case I'd make my men poke the things with sticks to make sure they weren't oddly shaped turtles.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

IIRC (sorry, don't have game at the moment as I'm on VACATION biggrin.gif ) daisy chain mines will always be easily visible and all mines on paved roads are easily visible (can't dig 'em in) It may also be the case that mines on rough ground can not be dug in. Normal AP or AT mines in open ground or woods are very hard to spot and I generally only spot them by walking over them. Are you sure you were playing with full fog of war?

--Chris

Yep, I find them by stomping all over the little buggers! Ow my leg!

AP mines in wooded areas are extremely effective, especially when placed as a barrier defense. Once uncovered, the Tac AI will send the other troops around them.

Guest Michael emrys

Except for an unmarked minefield I once ran over in a jeep, I've always spotted them in plenty of time to avoid them.

I haven't used any myself, but from the comments I hear on the board it sounds like one good use for them is to put them in covered approaches that the enemy is likely to take. This forces him out into the open where you can spot him and shoot him.

Michael

Thanks for the info. My mines were place next to a road on grass, otherwise in the open. I figured if they were on dirt, they would be buried and invisible.

Oh well, you got to try to learn. But I've wasted some points and lives in this battle.

------------------

Just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some respect....