Retaking Viipuri - Spoilers

Has anybody managed to score at least a minor victory with the Finns in this one using EFOW & fixed setup for the Soviet defenders?

This was the first CMBB scenario I played when I got my eager paws on the game. Naturally I lost big time. I chalked it up to inexperience with the new infantry features, and went on to hone my skills in less demanding scenarios.

A week later I returned to the battlefield and tried again. This time I actually made some headway, but still suffered an embarrasing defeat. Time to practise some more, I thought.

Today I made a third attempt. I was of course forearmed with some intelligence about the enemy positions, and planned accordingly. Yet again my poor troops were beaten back with heavy losses. I was very close to a draw this time, but my only two reasonably intact platoons ran out of ammo...

Now, I'm not the hottest CMBB player around, but I have some experience (hell, I even managed a victory in Directive #3 as the Soviets...) Generally I do much better with infantry than with AFVs. This time I just seem to suck.

SPOILERS:

The one thing I did learn was never to bring the solitary tank into action before the ATG and at least one ATR has been silenced. The tank can be invaluable later, providing encircling fire on Soviet positions.

I´ve now tried flanking the defenses from both sides, and did achieve some success on the left flank. The terrain there is however too hard on the attacking troops, and even though they can gain a foothold in the town with lots of suppressive fire and smoke, the assault uphill leaves them too tired to fight.

The centre is too open to cross in the face of the enemy, and artillery smoke cannot adequately cover the appproach.

The right flank seems promising, but the trenches are very hard to take, and crossing the graveyard is not apicnic (if you want to hounor the spirit of the scenario and not bombard it).

Zak

Your not the only one.I must have played this scenario 5 time. The best ws a minor vic. I've tried several approaches from flanking hard to the right to a direct assault over the hill. Each time my artillery was wasted, causing little to know casulties. The AI kills you in this one.

OK, an update.

Looks like fourth time's the charm... I finally managed to win this one, and achieved a tactical victory. It was very close, however, and if the game hadn't gone on to 26 turns, it would have been a draw.

The scenario is winnable, but requires some skill and a bit of luck. I still think it might be a better fight if the time limit were extended to 27-30 turns. The timing is so unforgivable thart you have absolutely no room for setbacks in your timetable. Another option would be to give the Finns another FO (possibly 81 mm mortar).

Spoilers:

This time I decided on a flanking attack on the right. I sent one platoon to the west to support the guys in the race track building. One Maxim and the Sharpshooter stayed behind to give some cover. Everybody else advanced on the right flank. Two platoons made a stealthy approach right of the railroad track.

I set up a firebase in one of the clumps of trees with two Maxims and the Spotter. They were supported by two platoons with good leaders. As soon as the trenches were spotted, the one on the hill was kept under suppressive fire. The other trench was under heavy direct and artillery fire for a while, then I dropped smoke on it and commenced an assault. Soon the trench was cleared, and after that the cemetery was under Finnish observation and fire.

The Soviet barrage hit at that point, so one or two turns were spent mainly regrouping. Then advance continued on the right flank. The troops on the left flank had been hiding, but now they began a diversionary firefight to keep the defenders from shifting. Even the tank ventured into the open on turn 16!

Finally I managed to gain a foothold in the factory and made an assault on the victory building. Aside from two platoons held back for this purpose, all of my troops were running low on ammo, but the tank helped a lot. The initial assault was repulsed, but my last platoon carried the day in the end.

The Soviet defenses are very well constructed in this one. The positions are mutually supporting, and the right flank (left for the Finns) is practically unassailable. The combination of steep terrain, fortifications and fire makes it a lethal trap. I think the other flank is the only real possible approach.

Zak

• 1 month later...

Copied from Scenario Depot

As previous reviewers have noted this is a tough one. I played this without knowledge of what was ahead of me. I formulated a plan based on the terrain and forces available and then went on to reject it due to the setup zones that seemed to prompt a differnt approach. Bad idea! I gave up about half way through. The second time I tried my original approach detailed in spoilers below and came out with a major victory. I think this is a great learning scenario for infatry operations in face of entrenched opposition. It showcases the infantry model in CMBB and I highly recommend it in this light although be wary and prepared for some frustration at first! I think a better briefing would have made this a lot easier for the Finns. As for PBEM, I think the Finnish player would certainly have a very hard time of it and if a less than optimal strategy is selected he will probably go down hard.

*********************SPOLIERS*********************

The posession of the Race track building and the locked tank seems to suggest an atack on the left flank (all this from Finnish perspective). In my first attempt I tried this with two Maxims and the spotter in this building and I think another 2 platoons to support the one that starts there. The rest of my forces I placed on the far right to advance through the brush. Well it seemed to be working reasonably well although my tank was not doing much due to ATR fire. Everyone that popped up was suppressed by overwhelming fire. This was my first and biggest mistake. By the time I got to the cemetary region my ammunition was very low. When I approached the victory location I found I just did not have the firepower to seriously threaten it. On the left flank I was going nowhere fast.

On the second attempt I went with my original idea and abandoned the Racetrack building and put everyone on the right flank, keeping most of the Greenies as close to the map edge as possible and behind the forward Regs and Vets. The tank made its way through the scattered trees to join in the advance after about 10 turns. This time when I needed to suppress I mostly used just the sharpshooter, maxims and lights. They did the job quite nicely while the platoons mostly moved and occasionally advanced forward. I used the terrain to the fullest extent possible. This is the first game where my attacking troops were arriving at their goal considerably fatigued but they got there with remarkably few casualties and in strength. Rather have knackered than dead soldiers! How sweet it was to watch the final assault totally overwhelm the defenders with the tank providing valuable covering fire. Very satisfying. I think the designer would be well advised to remove the setup zone at the race track since it encourages a Finnish attack on the left flank which I think would be suicide, perhaps unlocking the tank too. He might also offer some more information in the briefing as to the strengths of the Russian force again encouraging the Finns to stick together. Then again, perhaps this is the lesson that the scenario is showcasing?

Try it,

John