T8 Recon Car

Guest grunto

Guest grunto

hi has anyone used the t8 as a truck? it looks like it can carry a half squad. so for 13 points with transport ability and the machinegun armament it's pretty tempting for a cavalry force.

in light of that i think that the trucks should be something like 10 points. maybe a large truck could be 20 points and carry two squads. it's just a thought.

andy

I guess you weren't watching Cpl Murphy's T8 all that carefully...

I think the guys you slaughtered under your halftrack had ridden up on Murphy's T8.

I'm starting to really like the T8, except the ammo load is *way* too small. How can a vehicle be that heavy and carry so little MG ammo? I realize it's not supposed to park and get into a standup MG battle, but even driving fast and shooting at things that pop up you run out of ammo really fast.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-04-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

hi has anyone used the t8 as a truck? it looks like it can carry a half squad. so for 13 points with transport ability and the machinegun armament it's pretty tempting for a cavalry force.

in light of that i think that the trucks should be something like 10 points. maybe a large truck could be 20 points and carry two squads. it's just a thought.

andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm starting to think the T8 is almost the US equivalent of the Pupchen in terms of cost-effectiveness. It costs half of what a .50 cal HMG team does while packing slightly more than half as much ammo (25 units vs 40). Throw in decent motorized speed (40 mph), armor substantially better than a halftracks (~50mm at its thickest, IFRC), and it is an incredible bargain at 13 purchase points! It's gamey as heck, but if you were willing to break your squads down into teams, you could mechanize an assault force for 2/3s the cost of putting them in M3A1 half tracks.

Maybe I'm so fond of them right now because I'm still taken with the way a DYO mtg engagement against the AI turned out last night because of a heroic T8. It managed to take out 2 Marder III's, a 234/1 armored car, a 251/9 recon half track, and a single hapless grunt before running out of ammo. I'd run the T8 into the village dominating the map on turn 1, and from this vantage point it started killing light armor as if it were armed with a Bushmaster 25mm instead of a Browning fifty! The Marders had been giving my own advancing light AFV's grief, so I was perplexed to see them abandoned and knocked out in two consecutive turns when my main force hadn't yet reached firing position. It turned out that the T-8 took each of them out with a single burst at ~200 yards! The 234/1 took a few extra bursts to kill, as did the halftrack.

Bottom line: count me as an enthusiastic T8 user!

(All smilies that attempted to infiltrate this post were summarily executed by .50 cal HMG fire)

[This message has been edited by Iconoclast (edited 07-04-2000).]

Guest grunto

yeah that's probably why it's only 13 points. elsewhere i was saying maybe it should cost more but now i don't know. also it doesn't carry machineguns, instead just hq, half squad, baz or flam.

andy

Guest grunto

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> posted 07-04-2000 02:24

I guess you weren't watching Cpl Murphy's T8 all that carefully...

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-04-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh no didn't he get something like 2 vehicles and a gun? i didn't see his half-squad cargo but i think his was the lead t8 which came around the corner and almost... almost got past the 37mm aa. it looked like he was going to start firing his mg again but the 37mm got him just as he was running past.

is that the same murphy you're talking about?

andy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by grunto:

oh no didn't he get something like 2 vehicles and a gun? i didn't see his half-squad cargo but i think his was the lead t8 which came around the corner and almost... almost got past the 37mm aa. it looked like he was going to start firing his mg again but the 37mm got him just as he was running past.

is that the same murphy you're talking about?

andy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same Murphy, and that was someone elses T8, since Murphy was almost out of ammo. I double checked and he doesn't get credit for the first gun-- I think it was a greyhound behind him that got that.