Some questions about map making

I've decided to give a shot at making my scenerio and in the process have come across some questions about making the maps.

I've decided to start with a scenerio based on the 101st Airborne's attack along the Carentan Causeway on June 11th. Now the Carentan operation that comes with the game includes this battle as part of it. However, the terrain for this operation seems somewhat abstracted. I was planning to make a more detailed map much more to scale. My first question is to what extent do scenerio designers make their maps to scale or abstract? I'm sure if a battle is taking place over a large area then there is a need to abstract distances and terrain more.

Actually, I guess for now that is my only question. I'm sure I'll have more as I proceed. Any help and or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Good luck with it, Enoch! Glad to hear that the creative juices are flowing.

It depends. First of all, it depends on how detailed the maps are that you have. Secondly, how the scenario is to develop will determine how you make your map.

I like to try to balance out accuracy with playability. It is always a challenge and you learn by doing. Good luck with it.

I generally fudge the scale of the maps I make but try to keep the terrian as realistic as I can. One problem is using modern maps, and you sort of have to guesstimate how you should scale down man made features. Some grogs will get picky and measure your map, but damn I just want a cool battle that flows the way I want it too.

Mr.J,

I believe you've probably hit upon one of the keys of semi-historical scenario building. Make a scenario that YOU like. You can't please everyone, so shoot for pleasing yourself. wait... did that sound dirty?

The scaling down of forces and area of operations used to be referred to as bath-tubbing (not sure if anyone still uses that term or not). I've never been a fan of bath-tubbed scenarios, and would rather play a more nearly accurate retelling of a smaller piece of the overall action.