All or Nothing

Guest KwazyDog

*SPOILERS*

Glad you enjoyed it Jack smile.gif

It was a hard one to balance and indeed the Allies have a lot of gear, but as you say it can be too little depending on how the scenario progresses for you smile.gif

The Germans really have to play hard in it, taking every chance to hurt the brits without being hurt themselves. The brits on the other hard have to move fast or risk the Germans recieving forces that will make their life hard. There is a key to this battle as the brits though, and its smoke to cover their advance and assult across the main bridge.

Out of interest, did you play it against a human opponent or the AI? Try it against a human if you really want a fight on your hands from both sides smile.gif

***Spoilers***

Kwazy, You bastard! smile.gif This has been a very rewarding, yet infuriating scenario. The most challenging one I have played to date.

The ONE thing that is causing me the MOST grief is the weather. I have lost almost as many vehicles to "bogging in" as I have to enemy action. Three were bogged in at the reinforcement arrival area! Very nice touch. The 88 and 50 AT guns were also difficult. Now, having silenced them and gained the first bridge, I am loosing vehicles to a tiger and a pair of pzkfw IV's!!! How will it end? I haven't even gotten into the city and I have lost too many units. Very bloody. Very frustrating. Very fun!

Zamo

Guest KwazyDog

Hehehe, glad you are enjoying it Zamo wink.gif

The weather in this one really does make you think. Where possable its best to stick to the roads, but that makes the allies predictable, which is nasty, especially if you play it against a human opponent smile.gif Ive played it PBEM now against the same oppenent probably 10 time and I can tell you against a human it is one mean and nasty battle! It is well worth it though.

As the Germans in the last battle I played after a desperate battle in the middle of the town with everything from a immobile Mk IV to crewman I actually had to surrender. The key from the German perspective is to make every kill count, youve really got to cut back that Allied armour, hehe. The Allies have to use they artey wisely and make it count.

It was a fun scenario to make and was my first. I probably spent a total of 20-30 hours on it in the end. It was bordering on being an operation, but in the end I think it plays best as one big mean battle.

Let me know how it finishes up Zamo, Id love to hear how the final battle goes smile.gif

I just finished with a MINOR ALLIED VICTORY, though my actual casualties were far less than I had feared, only 67 KIA. Lost alot of vehicles though, I think about 16. My main thrust was the serpentine over the primary bridge, up the railroad and around the hill approach, with most of my dismounted infantry assaulting over that last hill. The final assault on the town was led by my two remaining challengers, fresh from their victory over the tiger, the two sextons, the crocodille the small 40mm wheeled armored car (I forget what type it was, like a ferret) and four halftracks. Just as half track number one was securing the railyard and my armor was smashing down the first big flag building on the edge of town, the JPZ IV shows up behind them. What a slug-fest. My Croc was behind the Challengers who couldn't bring guns to bear, and the Croc and the Jpz slugged it out for two minutes. Each scoring successive hits on the other. Yet no one scored a kill. Meanwhile the Sdkfz 7/1 ambushed my Sextons and knocked them BOTH out in one turn. He met a similar fate from one of the Challengers. Then I high tailed one of the challengers into a firing position and together with the now imobillized croc they slew the Jpz. By this time all my infantry has charged off the hillside and is sweeping through the town with little serious opposition.

I lost four tanks to the tiger and 88 on or near the bridge, even after I correctly assesed the need to cover the assault with smoke. Another to the 50mm covering the railroad track, and my last Sherman to one of the PZIV's who was covering that road into town. All totalled I lost at least 8 tanks due to getting bogged down in the mud. They weren't killed, but they might as well have been. Most of my artillery observers were killed prior to ever really getting any fire missions in. It was a bear keeping track of who and what is where in this one. I had my 25 lbr and one 4.5" morter in a halftrack and didn;t even realize I had them until they debarked at the railyard. By that time it was already a decided event. Good, challenging scenario. It's a grinder! I don't want to think about doing it again for some time. It drained me. What a great game. What other game can you play where you need to fall back for R&R after an intense operation? I'm really happy with that Minor Allied Victory. The issue was in doubt for most of the game. I didn't see what turn it ended on, but I was running out of time. I think it was turn 57 when I finally got into the town. Great Job Kwazy!

• 4 months later...

A HEAP OF SPOILERS FOLLOWS

I'm resurrecting this thread to throw in my kudos to KwazyDog. This is a very enjoyable big scenario, and I really liked the feeling of a long, consistent push that comes from it not being an operation. I played as the Brits vs. the AI, and the Germans surrendered on turn 65 with the following stats:

Allied:

90 casualties (23 KIA)

2 mortars destroyed

10 vehicles knocked out

Men OK: 550

Score: 75

Axis:

267 casualties

78 captured

2 mortars destroyed

2 pillboxes knocked out

16 vehicles knocked out

Men OK: 47

Score: 25

Lady Luck was definitely on my side in this one. I had a Cromwell lose its commander and then lead my column from the first bridge, up the right side, and all the way into the town before being knocked out (by a shreck), and he took out the 50mm PaK and the 75mm RCL in duels. One of my Challengers won a duel with the Tiger at a range of 1020m, and a Sherman III knocked out two MkIVs and the Hummel from the top of the big ridge where the first bridge starts. One of my Churchills was immobilized right at the start of the first bridge, but that gave him a wide field of fire to serve well as a pillbox, and it was after he knocked out the 88 in a duel. Several tanks were almost out of ammo by the time the town fell (less than 10 rounds remaining).

I felt like I had enough artillery to get the job done, but not too much. I used a fair amount of it firing blind into suspected positions ahead of my column, and had good luck rooting out infantry (and a couple of those damned 20mm guns) doing that.

The wet conditions did make plotting movement a bit tedious at times, but I thought that fit well with the idea of a push up a narrow road.

My infantry reached the main bridge first, and when I saw the huge number of mines around it (combined with my lack of engineers), I abandoned that route and moved everything up the right. I did leave a few platoons of infantry near the bridge and on the ridge to spot and harass. This gave me a pretty good picture of what went on in the town, but is where most of my casualties came from.

Once I reached the town, my armor poured in and I moved up as much mechanized infantry as possible. The Sextons and the Wasp worked their way up the riverbank, burning and blasting the Germans out of position, while about 6 tanks, several halftracks, and a couple platoons of infantry sat near the back of the town and shot the fleeing Germans. About a full platoon of SS eventually surrendered as I worked toward the last flag. Probably something to do with being surrounded and on fire.

Tough and satisfying. KwazyDog picked the defensive positions well, and the AI took advantage of them. Anytime I made a mistake, I was punished for it. Several times I began to doubt I would have time to reach the town, much less conquer it. I wish there were more scenarios like it.

------------------

"Late evening turned to early morning as you sat with fists tightly gripped and thumb poised, anxiously awaiting the next cartridge of goodness. The hardcore gamer was born from nights such as these. Show your 'Roots.'" - The description of the Atari 2600 shirt on game-skins.com