Setting a fair force balance in QB

Lawyer

I want to play some QB's using Attack, Assault, and Probe. The CM manual says the computer will assign different force levels to match the defender and attacker fairly. But it doesn't explain what these force balance changes are, of if they are sufficient.

Do I need to add extra strength points to the attacker in my QB set-up to achieve fairness in QB, or does the computer assign sufficient extra forces to make it a fair fight? What is customary in PBEM games?

What are the differences between Attack, Assault, and Probe battles?

Thanks for any help. I've got some PBEM victims waiting, and I do want to treat them fairly.

------------------

Just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some respect...

[This message has been edited by Lawyer (edited 09-16-2000).]

In terms of points, an attacker will get 1.5-1.7 times the number of the defender. (1000 points for the defender and 1700 for the attacker)

Assault will get 2.0-2.2 times the number of the defender.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the point spread is for a probe.

And now my humble opinion:

I think that the best options for a quick battle set of parameters are attack/defend for a village/farmland scenario, assault for a town setting. I've never played a probe scenario except against the computer and wasn't really intrigued by it.

Also, here is some more of my thoughts on play balancing:

I think that the defender should always get the option for choosing their defensive force in private. In other words, the defender would get his/her choice of Armor, Combined Arms, Infantry, or Mechanized without the Attacker having any knowledge of what he is to face. That little bit gives the defender a more balanced share of his/her defending duties. (In other words, the defender would provide the setup file for the game.) It adds spice to the game.

Also, computer generated picks for units aren't a bad thing and would greatly enhance the situation. You wouldn't get an uber force of tanks supported by Fallchirmjagers. smile.gif The computer does a fairly good job of keeping it decent for both sides.

I think using the above techniques would get you the most bag for your buck.

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Many thanks, BJ. The victims, no doubt overly stimulated by the lure of ill-gotten gain, are biting at the bit to get started. You can check it out at my thread "Are you good enough to win a bad movie?"

Computer force selection leaves me a little cold since it chooses some funky weapons and combinations.

Cheers smile.gif

------------------

Just call me Lucifer 'cause I'm in need of some respect....

No problem. smile.gif

I've seen the thread and it cracks me up.

HAL doesn't always do such a terrible job. I've been fairly pleased by his picking for me lately.

Although, I have run into a rotten job of picking by HAL in my past as well.

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." biggrin.gif

------------------

BJ Simpson

Visit www.arrl.org for information about Ham Radio.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES