Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

nvidia driver/gforce card/CMBO paradox

Dear All (Especially the driver-elite amongst you),

I have a GeForce4 MMX 440 8xAGP MSI 64MB card, a 1.6GHz Duron processor and Win2K+SP4 (DirectX 9). I recently bought and installed CMBO and it refuses to run - black screen after Resolution selection, alt-Tab gave me an unhandled exception c0000005, i can <Esc> out, but so far not even a Pref file never mind a game!

I was using 40.xx drivers. I uninstalled them (from Device Manager/Properties/Driver/Uninstall) and then ran Detonator RIP, and installed 30.82 drivers: A v quick and helpful post from Monty had said these were the best for CMBO.

Trouble is - my PC wont even boot up with 30.82 drivers! I have tried a bunch of nvidia drivers now. Anything which will boot OK wont run CMBO - black screen is sole outcome to date.

So here is my paradox - i have a game which i am told needs an old driver (30.82) and a card which probably needs a newer driver (40.xx). What do i do?

(Polite answers only please!)

Newbie Von Pants-Err

[ November 12, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: pants-err ]

Thanks all. Now running.

1. Uninstalled video driver, ran Detonator RIP - though i am not convinced it removes everything.

2. Reinstalled nvidia driver 40.72 WHQL and reinstalled sound card driver.

3. Set resolution and refresh rate to the same everywhere, and turned off antialiasing.

4. Because i had the unhandled exception message i tested DirectX - ran dxdiag.exe from the Run command box - but DirectX was fine.

5. Remembered Matt had said it *would* all be fine one day, pressed the button and hey presto!

I think my problem may in fact have been a corrupted *audio* driver but hey its working now.

thanks to all who posted

Newbie Von Pants-Err