Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

PBEM EMAIL PROBLEMS

I know I am not the only one who has had problems with saving PBEM files through their browser, so here goes...I have tried different Email addy's (Hotmail and Prodigy) And I still get the files as code when viewed.I cannot just save the file to the PBEM folder.I was told that I should copy/paste the set up files to wordpad and then save it in the PBEM folder.This works like a charm (sometimes it takes a few tries though).However, I was told that the movie files (being much,much larger) may not work.Is there a way around this headache.Is it a Netscape problem? I have no idea why I cannot just save the file to the folder without it opening up as code..does this happen to everyone ?.So far my set up phase has worked great with the 2 games I am playing,but I am really bummed out that the movies will not work..any help will be greatly appreciated..

------------------

"If Patton were alive today,he'd play Combat Mission."

Have you tried telling your opponent to zip the pbem file attachment before transmitting it?

Many email programs and browsers try to to open and display file attachments as text - they are trying to be helpful. Zipping the files usually defeats this often undesireble and unwanted assistance.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

I am not sure that this is the same problem you are having under Netscape but this is what I figured out to get my opponents attached files to work. Both my browser and email are Netscape (no outlook, eudora, etc. as an email program). I find the file and right click on it. Find Save Link as and click. The Save As screen comes up and simply find the PBeM folder and save the file to there. I hope this helps some. PBeM is definitely worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Man:

Thanks Harold,unfortunately in some cases it is just code( I do not have a link at all)..But if I see it as a Link I will definitely try the "save as" option..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use Hotmail, and all the guys I'm pbem-ing have to zip the file before sending to me. Otherwise Hotmail simply opens the file in a new browser, and I have to cut-and-paste.

Yes, that works, but is way to circumstantial.

The Zip idea is it !! I asked my opponent to try it and sure enough it worked(His files werent even named,so I didnt even know what he was sending).Most Browser related Email programs try to do us a favor by opening up the file for viewing.The zip format leaves a link there.That must be why They always ask for submitted scenarios at the depot to be zipped.They dont want to be bothered copying/pasting the files..lol..There are quite a few frustrated guys (and girls) out there who cannot get this to work.I hope they all read this good info..Thanks All. smile.gif

------------------

Stefan,I have just started my first one,,thats why I wanted to address this issue..The only thing that I find that is negative is the time delay involved,It could take weeks to finish a 25 turn QB.I guess you need to play 4 or 5 at once to keep busy.

I am finding that the Computer scenarios are sometimes not all that fun,either too hard or too unrealistic (shootouts),or the maps are bland. I have seen scenarios made by the big boys and I was turned off by the maps so I wouldnt even play them. Human opponents seem much more interesting at the moment..

------------------