CMBB artillery

A while back Moon wrote:

"Actually, artillery is one of the most tweaked aspects between CMBO and CMBB, and in CMBB its workings are not far away from what Jason described, including prep-bombardments (ordered during the setup phase to strike a certain location at a certain time), required use of TRPs to keep command delays within reasonable limits and drastically tweaked delay times for fire outside of LOS. And much more... but you'll have to wait a little more for a full bone"

I was wondering if the "full bone" had arrived yet? I've looked but can't find it. Does any one know if there are any new commands for arty? Such as a command that would allow you to "walk" the arty without have to retarget?

not that i know of. i believe a lot of the tweaking was done so the russians would be modeled more reallistically. they simply didn't have the "on demand" artillery support the western allies and germans expected and used to great effect. their's was used more in the pre-attack phase. don't get me wrong, the russkies used their arty with effect as well. they just massed guns hub to hub and saturated areas of attack, so much so that the germans were forced to defend in depth, otherwise all their front line troops would have been rendered ineffective during the battle to come...

Yeah, there's lots I'm wondering about the new artillery modeling.

In addition to the above, I'm especially wondering about how lighter off-board artillery is going to be handled on the new 9 sq. km map size.

As I recall, the max. range of a german 81mm mortar is 2100m. Even if the off-board mortar battery were located exactly at the edge of the map in the center on a square map, it would only be able to reach about 50% of the map. The problem gets worse the more rectangular the map gets.

When you take into account that presumably an off-board battery is a bit farther back to keep it safe, even some of the lighter gun batteries aren't going to be able to hit a significant proportion of the larger maps.

I suppose ideally there should be a way of locating a battery of mortars on-map that was tied to a spotter. This would add whole new elements of gameplay. For example, counterbattery fire on-map batteries would suddenly become a possibility.

My suspicion is that this would be very hard to code, though.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Cheers,

YD

good points yd. i didn't think about range limitations on the larger maps of cmbb. but you can bet the bfc team did, so i'm sure it's already worked out. it would be cool to have some on board arty. if nothing else, just to watch a battery firing, not to mention seeing all those russian guns lined hub to hub.