Chance Encounter AAR (spoiler?)

jtcm

Dear Tom

I hope your OK we spent the last week refitting in the rear Im not allowed to say where Ten days ago we were beat up pretty bad by the Krauts We were supposed to occupy this village called [CENSORED] at a cross roads under a ridge with some woods four five shermans travelling down the road and us infantry marching along under the cover of a wooded copse copse as the lieutenant said Hes always talking fancy to show us he went to yale you know the type what a [CENSORED] Anyways we were going in pretty relaxed seeing as recon had told us the area was clear But when we got near the cross road we started taking mortar and mg fire so our tanks starting getting exceited and firing at the woods above the cross road and all of a sudden couple stugs pops over the ridge and shoot up the tanks just like that We should of pulled back but the Old Man he thought we should go aheard and take the cross road and dig in that was a big mistake Well he's dead now because we ran the whole length of the wooded copse towards the village at the cross road and of course the Krauts were waiting for us they greeted us with plenty mg fire and shifted the mortars onto us with plenty tree bursts So much for that [CENSORED] wooded copse And the Stugs started firing into us too so we pulled back pretty quick you can believe me The Krauts had worked a party onto our flank they came at us from the right that's when the captain bought it. C company came down the road at this point but they got shot up pretty bad we're luck they didn't pursue us anyfurther. it was a real [CENSORED]

Say hi to Jackson and Mr and Mrs Wright i miss you all. Someone stole the German watch I was going to bring you but dont worry i shall find another. But i wont be writing for a little while since we move out tomorrow. Dont worry i am fine.

Your faithful brother

Well, I played that one a few times myself before I began winning. It's a good learning battle actually. Try playing it as the Germans, you might be suprised how well the Amis do. After I got to where I could win being either side, (and reading some of the training stuff here and on related websites really helped), I felt at least I was out of the 'rank beginner' stage. Find the small scenario by Wild Bill called 'Combat'. Something like only 8 turns, but a lot of things to practice in those 8. Then write another cool AAR -

Hm. As the Americans in Chance Encounter,

- Keep those Shermans grouped. Having five Shermans in a group means that if a StuG comes into LOS, it probably is in a one-on-many situation, increasing the chance that you'll KO it before it KOs one of yours.

Notice that the woods mean that it's a bit harder for the StuGs to advance en masse at you -- it restricts their possible approaches so that they'll mostly just come straight down the center.

- ...and keep them WELL BEHIND the infantry screen. Infantry spot decently when in numbers, and they're much more robust.

- ...and quite possibly out of sight entirely until needed. He who commits his armor first, is at a disadvantage if the enemy can manuever to ambush it...

- Use caution and overwatch. Hrm, I tend to advance most aggressively on the left flank, to reach the fields and the walls, and then somewhat on the right flank towards the woods to provide fire support. Only when I'm reasonably happy that I can put a lot of fire onto the enemy center do I advance much towards the crossroads itself, since it's easy to get pinned down under fire from the woods in the upper left and the buildings ahead and to the right.

You've got plenty of time in Chance Encounter. Use it. Two more battles that might be very good for absolutely enforcing caution are _A Long Cold Day_ and _All or Nothing_.