General AT-gun Q's fron NB

A couple a q's from a NewBee, to CM as well as WWII. So bee nice will you?

1) According to some sources HE ammo was inaccurate comapred to AP? Why?

2) PzGr 39 and 40. Do these always represent APC and APCBC respectively or does it differ between guns?

3) If I wanted an authoritive book(s) on tanks and tank-guns ( mainly German and Russian ) what would you recommend?

4) Anyone from Sweden? Where do you get your books? I'm not aware of any bookshops with a good military range.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Superstar:

A couple a q's from a NewBee, to CM as well as WWII.

Welcome aboard.

1) According to some sources HE ammo was inaccurate comapred to AP? Why?

I don't know who makes that claim. In general, projectile dispersion depends on muzzle pressure, and as HE rounds are usually fired at lower muzzle velocities (hence lower muzzle pressures) that AP natures, they should, all other things being equal, be more accurate.

The lower m.v. does, however, mean that they are much more sensitive to errors in range. Thus it is possible to be more accurate, in the strict sense of projectile dispersion, while having a lower hit probability against a vertical target.

2) PzGr 39 and 40. Do these always represent APC and APCBC respectively or does it differ between guns?

PzGr 39 is APCBC (strictly, APCBCHE).

PzGr 40 is APCR.

3) If I wanted an authoritive book(s) on tanks and tank-guns ( mainly German and Russian ) what would you recommend?

For German tanks, Chamberlain, Doyle & Jentz, "Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two", A&AP, London, 1978.

For Soviet tanks, Zaloga & Grandsen's "Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two", A&AP, London, 1984.

For the technicalities of anti-tank gunnery, I'm sure lots of people will happily recommend the book by the group's very own Rexford (Lorrin Bird) -- my copy should be somewhere in mid-Atlantic by now.

4) Anyone from Sweden? Where do you get your books? I'm not aware of any bookshops with a good military range.

Tell 'im, Mattias!

All the best,

John.

[ July 11, 2002, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: John D Salt ]