TCP/IP Disconnect Problem

I'm having a slightly different TCP/IP problem in ver 1.12 than others are reporting. Since I got a cable modem installed about 3 weeks ago I get loss of connection to remote computer almost every turn - usually during the data exchange. Both of my regular opponents are on dialup, and I have played successfully with both from my previous dialup account.

The usual symptom is that the games lose connection 1/3 or so of the way through the data transfer. Neither connection physically drops, and we can reload and go from there. On the reload it usually makes it through the data transfer but not always. We have also seen cases where 4 or 5 turns ran without disconnects.

I've tried both with and without ZoneAlarm running and it seems to make no difference. I've also placed my computer in the DMZ of my router, a Linksys (i.e. outside of its firewall).

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone else had problems with firewalls and routers once they connect?

2. Has anyone had problems between broadband and dialup connections (another poster claimed that broadband can choke a dialup, but I doubt it - communication between dissimilar connections is what the net and TCP/IP is all about).

3. Are there any TCP/IP, registry, or cm.ini settings (Win95) that can make CM more tolerant of lags/pauses caused by net jams?

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

US Grant,

Zonealarm seems to cause people problems, altho I use it without any problems. I also use the Linksys 1 port router as my firewall, I setup the port forwarding to whichever pc i want to use, and forward port 7022-7024.

Cable modem should NOT choke a dial-up modem.

Originally posted by rune:

US Grant,

Zonealarm seems to cause people problems, altho I use it without any problems. I also use the Linksys 1 port router as my firewall, I setup the port forwarding to whichever pc i want to use, and forward port 7022-7024.

Cable modem should NOT choke a dial-up modem.

Thanks for the input. As I said, I had the same problem with and without ZoneAlarm, so I think it is not the cause. If your Linksys router works that is another good data point.

I really don't think it is firewall problem because we have had runs of 5 or so turns without a disconnect, immediately followed by 5 or more turns with a disco each turn frown.gif

I suspect there needs to be some tweaking either in CM or in my TCP/IP settings to make the connection more tolerant to timeouts. I just don't know what to tweak!

Also, I am on a Win95 PC, both opponents are on PC with (I think) Win98.

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

[This message has been edited by USGrant (edited 03-06-2001).]