The T-34, Russia's Ace in the Hole

When CMBB becomes available to the public, I'm sure every designer here has his sights set on a scenario with the first appearance in action of the Soviet T-34 tank.

My research shows it was near Bialystok, on July 1st, 1941. I know, however, that a number of you are much more knowledgeable of this kind of thing than I.

Anyone agree or disagree with this? What sources did you use if you do? What did you discover if anything. I'd be delighted to hear what you might have on the subject.

I don't think anyone knows with certainty when the first encounter took place, at least in the documentations we all have. They vary from the 22nd of June until July 1st.

Most likely it was in the first days of the war. Halder's note "New Soviet Tanks" mentioned in Clark's Barbarossa indicates that they were aware of its danger and deadliness early on.

That, coupled with the appearance of the KV-1, were quite a bitter suprise for the smaller, less adequately armed Panzers. Here is a quote from one of the German tankers on sidling up beside an abandoned T-34 in his Mark III.

“Compared to that tank, ours seemed like a cigarette box. I remember thinking, ‘how will we ever be able to destroy these?’”

I would assume a lot of tank commanders had that ominous presage.

..Wild Bill