Utrechstrasse

I'm designing a series of interlinked Battles for CM based on the experiences of a British Airborne Company having been inspired by my positive experiences of the German and American equivalents (I've forgotten those talented authors - apologies - but the US one is entitled 'Any Port in a Storm'). I'm fitting together the first scenaio based upon the route-march into Arnhem along 'Tiger' route. Its a long thin board about a mile in length with a 100ms on either side. The British have to progress from one end to the other. The Germans have to disrupt or prevent this. In lieu of the last post, the research will be founded upon a search of the relevant literature, maps and documents at the Public Record Office, Kew, UK, as well as my own field walking of the area.

The idea is for the Allied column to advance quickly but cohesively, utilising a vanguard and a rearguard to tackle the typical problems encountered en route, e.g. incessant sniping, mortar 'stonks' and pockets of organised resistance. The Germans should harass from the flanks and attempt to break up the column.

The trick is, how can I best model this for the AI? Should I put VLs on the junctions along the road to encourage the AI to interdict the column or leave it alone, perhaps 'dumping' reinforcements North and South of the road? If VLs are in use I think I'd have to introduce follow up units (in addtion to the Company principally involved) to keep the flags 'live'.

Similarly, has anyone had much experience of how many points are accumulated for troops exiting the board - this being a crucial aspect of this scenario - and how effective this really is? Most of this game's points should be won or lost here, not necessarily in the fighting which was not then the historical imperative.

Any advice would be gratefully received . :rolleyes:

Ipswich boy? I'm originally from Sudbury.

If you need any assistance putting some historical forces together, give us a shout.

The OOB for 3rd Parachute Battalion is pretty straight forward, but German forces are a bit more difficult. A couple of recommendations for sources on the German forces present (which you may already have).

"It Never Snows in September" R Kershaw.

"German Armoured Units at Arnhem" Marcel Zwarts.

Kraft's 16th Battalion account of the Battle at Arnhem (should be available at the PRO).

For maps, the 1:25000 scale 1944 map of the Arnhem/Oosterbeek area is available at the Airborne forces museum Aldershot and can be purchased from their site online. Also if you can get hold of a copy of "Remember Arnhem" by John Fairley, it contains some superb 1:10000 scale street maps along the Utrechtseweg.

Peter

Thanks for that Peter (Sudbury Boy!). Those are the books I have already, except for Zwarts armour book (which I ordered the other week). Farley's book is excellent and I've waded through Krafft's copy (which also has some nice maps). We should hook up for a game, two local boys made good . :D