Crossing Bocage

Ah the things you miss when you don't read the board often.

Try this if you're in doubt if your AFV will cross bocage. Issue a move command, move the cursor over the bocage and if the line doesn't turn red = you're good to go.

Question: (Sorry to highjack your thread Dave)

Should infantry be allowed to stay on the AFVs when they cross bocage? Shouldn't they be swept off by any low hanging branches/vegetation?

Sam

BTW If you do have any Priest, I have the Anti-Christ in my Orbat ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Moriarty:

No Priests in the Brit TO&E ... but watch out for the Sexton.<hr></blockquote>

Hmmm. I'm not an authority on the subject, but I have read that the Brits did use Priests in Normandy and reëquipped with Sextons later on.

Michael

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kotay:

Should infantry be allowed to stay on the AFVs when they cross bocage? Shouldn't they be swept off by any low hanging branches/vegetation?<hr></blockquote>

After the tank cuts a hole in the hedgerow, where are the low hanging branches coming from?

Michael

Would have been nice if my .50 cal would've been swept off before that little incident with the MG42 team. Fisheggs! :mad:

Only seeing pictures of bocage it seems like it can be a mixture of trees and bushes. So it seems like a hole could be punched through the bocage and a low branch from a nearby tree could knock someone off the vehicle. But then really to answer your question Sam, I would have to be taking it seriously.

Priests will appear to bless my victory! tongue.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

After the tank cuts a hole in the hedgerow, where are the low hanging branches coming from?

Michael<hr></blockquote>

Thought that tanks cuttin a hole in bocage will leave a tank shape hole ... maybe not. :confused:

Thought that tanks cuttin a hole in bocage will leave a tank shape hole ... maybe not. :confused: <hr></blockquote>

My impression was that it cut a slot wide enough for a tank (and presumably most other vehicles) to go through.

BTW, I suspect that for other reasons, infantry would not want to be riding the tank at the moment it penetrated the hedge. For one thing, could the shock of it striking the hedgerow, even at low speed, have been insignificant for troops with little or nothing to hang onto? Also, I expect that a tank coming through would have every German gun in the area firing at it.

Michael

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>BTW, I suspect that for other reasons, infantry would not want to be riding the tank at the moment it penetrated the hedge. For one thing, could the shock of it striking the hedgerow, even at low speed, have been insignificant for troops with little or nothing to hang onto? Also, I expect that a tank coming through would have every German gun in the area firing at it <hr></blockquote>

Micheal, good point. I suspect the tank driver would crank it up a bit before hitting the hedge. Would probably be a manuveur mounted personnel would want to dismount for. Possibly gamey but for expediency's sake I would tend to leave mounted personnel on vehicle when crossing bocage in CMBO unless I was sure of enemy contact on the otherside of the bocage. The loss of my .50 cal I refer to above happened after I was well clear of the hedgerow.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Massattack:

I thought that....provided you counted the correct number of seconds before throwing it....the Holy Grenade of Antioch was the best weapon against a Priest.<hr></blockquote>

I'm at the moment running around the map looking for the power up box that contains that baby smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rogue male:

The .50 cal team (I should say) was riding the Sherman.<hr></blockquote>

Ah. What became of them? Did they just jump off? Did they take casualties? Were they eliminated (i.e., was there one of those dead bodies lying on the ground at that point)?

I'm curious.

Michael

The loss of my .50 cal I refer to above happened after I was well clear of the hedgerow.<hr></blockquote>

I thought it looked as if those guys were hanging off the gun barrel after having been thrown over the turret smile.gif

BTW Michael, that was a good take on the issue re: bocage as humongous speed bumps. Well, as long as the game mechanics allow it, we'll just keep on doing it then ... if only I can get myself to stop playing with those Uber AFVs. :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

Ah. What became of them? Did they just jump off? Did they take casualties? Were they eliminated (i.e., was there one of those dead bodies lying on the ground at that point)?

I'm curious.

Michael<hr></blockquote>

Shall we say they were swept off by low hanging MG42 burst? smile.gif The 0.50cal team took 2 casualties, bailed off the ride and proceeded to be chopped up . Dead body lying on ground only showed up after the whole team was wiped out.

Wouldn't it be cool if the game could have left a trail of dead bodies for each casualty? Find the Sherman by following the trail of Doughboy crumbs. smile.gif

Shall we say they were swept off by low hanging MG42 burst? smile.gif The 0.50cal team took 2 casualties, bailed off the ride and proceeded to be chopped up . Dead body lying on ground only showed up after the whole team was wiped out.<hr></blockquote>

Okay. Think I've got it now. Yeah, I guess having them hitch a ride was not such a great idea.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Wouldn't it be cool if the game could have left a trail of dead bodies for each casualty? Find the Sherman by following the trail of Doughboy crumbs. smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

Something like this was mooted very early in the game's development and soundly voted down (by Steve and Charles, the only votes that counted). No mangled bodies littering the battlefield and no pools of blood. You get one body denoting an eliminated unit and that's it. Personally, I think they made the right decision. This isn't an FPS, though there were some back then--and since--that lobbied to turn it into one.

Michael

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]</p>

Geez! He's takin' out my Shermans now he's taking out my thread. Kotay, you're a naughty boy! tongue.gif

Micheal,

Here's the deal, the way I saw it if I was going to get the .50 cal into a decent firing position (or at least one I thought was decent) it was going to have to travel 1/2 way across the map (slight exaggeration, but still far for a .50 moving thru 3 lines of bocage). If I would have walked the sucker we would've had to have a 70 turn game. I cross the first line of bocage and am 1/2 way thru to the next line of bocage when his MG 42 opens up and wipes the whole team out (I think it took two turns, they were broken by the initial mg bursts and not able to manuv. and destroyed on the next turn). So I did have some infantry coming thru the hedge as simaltanously as possible to support the tank and attempt to avoid the indicident. Didn't work. Still a long way to go (Villiers-Fossard, happened @ turn 5 of 35 turn battle). So maybe my plan was not sound or not well executed. Depends on who ends up eating whose lunch. If I prevail no big loss, if he does possible my plan of attack was unsound or at least its execution.

Part of the problem is that in the game, unlike real life, the hedgeclipper Shermans don't open a hole that other units can get through. So that tends to throw the timing of the whole attack off. I haven't played that scenario, so I can't say if this would work or not, but it sounds like you should start off your supporting infantry first so that they are through the hedgerow by the time the tanks come through.

You've gotten me curious. What is the name of this scenario and where can I download it? I'd like to take a look at it myself.

Michael

Micheal - Here's the url - www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/. It's the Scenario Depot site. In hindsight I wish I would have sent the infantry thru first and if an MG breaks one squad it is better than losing a tank. Wasn't paying close enough attn to to AT assets that might be hidden. Figured Sherman could go through and control the situation until the my inf platoons made it through. Tried timing everything as best I could, but c'est la vie.... Wasn't it a bocage assault technique to put a Sherman thru the hedge than follow closely behind with the infantry. What was the real life contigency plan for an AT asset being on the other side of the hedge instead of an MG or just infantry w/ small arms?

Micheal - Here's the url - www.dragonlair.net/combatmission/. It's the Scenario Depot site.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks. What's the name of the scenario?

[edit] Never mind; I think I found it. "Villiers-Fossard" right?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Wasn't it a bocage assault technique to put a Sherman thru the hedge than follow closely behind with the infantry.<hr></blockquote>

Yes. Won't work in CM because you can't open a hole in the hedgerow for other units to pour through.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>What was the real life contigency plan for an AT asset being on the other side of the hedge instead of an MG or just infantry w/ small arms?<hr></blockquote>

Smother the hedgerow with good ol' Willy Pete. Tended to discourage the Krauts from hanging around. No Willy Pete in CM either, but I suppose you could use regular arty or even smoke on the most likely positions until your forces break through. Do you get arty in this scenario?

Michael

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]</p>