CMBB downsampling?

Porajkl

Just some clarification. CMBO also downsampled but since the most textures were already lower quality than what you see in CMBB it wasnt always as easy to spot.

The bug is a driver one, and we have told Nvidia about it on more than one occasion. What is happening is that the video cards are not releasing their VRAM properly and are also not always correctly reporting how much VRAM they have left.

This same issue occured in CMBO, you may recall the black sky issue with some GeForce cards?

All we can hope is that at some point in the future Nvidia will optimize their Mac extensions and once and for all clean this up. There is not much we can do from our end as the code is behaving properly since it gets its info FROM the drivers which control the card.

I will make sure that we once more remind Nvidia of this issue.

Madmatt

Thanks Matt. I had simplified the situation too much I guess - "Just don't downsample if the card has 128mb VRAM!!!!" is not as simple as it looks.

It would be great if there was a command line-style hack to turn downsampling off (like downsample="0"), for screenshots, and people like Michael whose card could probably handle it fine.

From FPS games I know the more user-controlled graphic options the better, because of the huge spectrum of opinion on what is "optimum"