Relieving the Rangers Wild Bill?- Spoiler

First Off, Wild Bill----Excellent Scenario!!!!!

Spoilers Below*****************************

Wild Bill,

Thanks for doing the excellent Relieving the Rangers scenario. What a fight!!!! I managed an allied Tactical Victory and wonder if that is about all you could expect to achieve given the cicumstances. I lost two Shermans to the initial Tank ambush on turn one but manged to get the two MkIVh's and the TigerI. I split one squad for scouts and used them and one of the M4-76w's to scout ahead. I loaded up the rest of the troops on the remaining Shermans. This served well as one of the split squads tripped the 88 ambush. It fired on the troops and then my lead Sherman moved up and took it out. In the mean time, the Rangers were holding their own with the judicious use of the 105 arty. After cleaning out the 88, I cleared the town and knocked out the re-inforcing STU42 but lost another Sherman to the Tiger. This turn I made my biggest mistake in that I sent a squad of Rangers and two bazooka teams to guard the flank the Tiger and STU appeared on in case there was more armor. They, of course, ran into the re-inforcing Volksgrenadiers accompaning the armor and were captured. The dug in Rangers and the 105's had pretty much stabilized the Rangers left flank so I moved most of the Rangers on the left flank over to the right to counter the new threat of the new Volksgreanadiers. My 3 remaining Shermans moved out of the town with the infantry just as the German Infantry was entering it from the rear. After some supressing fire, I was able to race 2 of the Shermans the road to help the Rangers. The other Sherman and the infantry moved in to pincer the Volksgrenadiers. The last salvo on 105's I dropped on the town as I left and if slowed up the German infantry that had been following my armor. This is pretty much how it ended with me incontrol of the crossroads 125 casualties on my side and 250 on the Germans. Can the US realistically expect to do better? Trading 3 Shermans for 2 MkIVh's, 2 Tigers and a STU42 seems pretty good to me. Granted, I lost some troops with my Bazooka patrol but they DID expose the Volksgrenadier flanking movement on the Rangers right.

Thanks again for a GREAT fight!

Kevin

[This message has been edited by kverdon (edited 08-10-2000).]

Very nice tactics. You were prepared. I admire you. I tend to rush ahead. You didn't. Always the same of a good commander!

You played it well.

The Rangers will need a little help sooner or later (ammo), but there is time to approach cautiously...I'll say no more. Glad you enjoyed it, Kevin...Wild Bill

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com

Wild Bill,

you said,

"but there is time to approach cautiously"

you did this masterfully. Too slow and you'll be chewed up from the rear, too fast and you'll get bushwhacked. Very well done. I'd love to see you do a full Arnhem set. You could do a set like CC2 with 4 different Opperations. Son/Veghel/Schindel, Nigmeghan/Grosbeck,Arnhem/Ostrebeck. Pardon the spelling.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. It would make a great series of battles.

I've found of late that some folks tire of operations after 4 or 5 battles. I think I'll ask about that.

Appreciate the suggestion. Now send me those two extra hours a day you don't need biggrin.gif

And that is a joke, isn't it? Who has two extra hours anymore?.....WB

------------------

Wild Bill

Lead Tester

Scenario Design Team

Combat Mission-Beyond Overlord

billw@matrixgames.com