Wanna help with ROQC for CMAK?

I'd like to port ROQC to CMAK, but the job isn't small and I could use some help if there are some volunteers out there. I already have one confirmed and one tentative, but the editing and - particularly - research job is somewhat large and my time is limited. I just ordered CMAK, but I haven't got it yet, but there's no reason why people who have the game couldn't start doing some of it.

And I need some testers. More is better.

I'd like the campaign to cover all nationalities and theatres from the start. ROQC for CMAK has a lot of potential as CMAK has just come out and most likely is going to live for a couple of years at least.

If you're interested, go through the list below and give me an indication of what you'd like to do (or just tell me you'd like to help). You can post here or send me an email (look in my profile).

Browsing through the rules, I can come up with the following summary list:

- Ranks for the different nationalities (fairly easy in fact)

- Start and end dates for each region (easy), and perhaps a bit of history (not quite so easy)

- Availability of the different division types for each nationality for each region. This is a big one, but I have a spreadsheet that can be used as a starting point to list the data. I need to paste them into the rules as tables. This is a good one to "outsource".

- Operational Order table selection specifying the table to use for each region, nationality and month. This is a biggie too, and it requires both insight into the history of the war and insight into the campaign mechanism. The content of the operational order table reflects the strategic situation for the current nationality, region and month. This could probably be outsourced as well with some support by me. The selection of possible operational order tables may have to be revised along with their effect on operational orders.

- Modifiers to various tables depending on weather, nationality, division type etc. have to checked and revised. Shouldn't be too difficult.

- Ammunition modifiers in particular have to be redefined, perhaps simplified - or reworked or in light of the difficult German supply situation in Africa.

- Fitness modifiers proably need to be changed, perhaps fitness can be simplified.

- Battle setup needs to be checked. It's probably mostly OK. I don't know how valid the concept of Exploit and Retreat battles are - perhaps in Africa but perhaps not in Italy and Crete. But that can be regulated using the Operational Orders.

- Unit classifications need to be checked for the vehicles with dual armament - and I expect that there are very few big guns in this theatre.

- The after battle stuff is probably mostly OK, but still needs to be checked.

- Some suggested campaigns would be nice.

- The spreadsheet needs to be updated with the new data, and may also need a bit of reformatting to cater for the many different nationalities.

And then there's testing.

All in all, a fairly large amount of work, but at least two large chunks (division type availability and operational order selection) can be delegated to others fairly easily. Several of the die roll modifiers could as well.

One thing that might be worth brainstorming is a way to make retreat battles a bit easier.

After playing several games using the system, I've found they all work really well, except for retreat battles where I fiddled the numbers [as keeping accurate stats as they go off the field is tricky]

Originally posted by Heliotic:

One thing that might be worth brainstorming is a way to make retreat battles a bit easier.

After playing several games using the system, I've found they all work really well, except for retreat battles where I fiddled the numbers [as keeping accurate stats as they go off the field is tricky]

I suspect the kill stats are simply wrong. I have noticed that they tend to change once the game ends - presumably because the stats take Fog of War into account during the game.

I expect that Retreats are only appropriate in North Africa, perhaps also East Africa (I could be wrong - but the geograhy of Italy is quite different from the open steppes of Russia).

I'll give it some thought. It's a nice concept that adds variety, but it's really a bit too complicated. one option is to simply remove the Retreat battles. Or perhaps turn them into a much simpler exercise - if I can think of one.