About the new CM2X

haido

Now, I've read some posts about the ongoing debate about CM2X. Some people want it to take place in Vietnam some people WW1, some people Middle Eastern Conflicts and some ON THE MOON! smile.gif

Now i've played all the CM series and i find it most enjoying. But i can see that some of you might find it a bit tad if they put CM2X in WW2 again.

But i still feel like Battlefront has only licked on the top of iceberg that sunk the freakin titanic.

NOW is the time to really perfect this wargame.

They have most of the numbers they need they know how to make most of the units they have every data they need for most of the units. So there will be less hazzle with unbalanced units and so on. If they had to set the game in a new war they would have to start researching all over again.

NOW is the time to perfect. Start focusing on other aspects. Like Multi-Multiplaying or Multi Campaigning, Refine the graphics, bring in more theaters, perhaps the pacific and the europe. FOCUS on doing the best scenarios ever do better operations and so on. Amaze us with the best WW2 wargame ever!

Please do not attempt to make a game of some war where one side just Ran over the other side with their tanks and aeroplanes.

Well said Haido! While CM is already the greatest wargame ever, there are so many exciting areas still open for improvement. I hope the CMX2 engine is designed so as to make possible the following:

- Multiplayer play....I am playing a "team rumble" PBEM right now and despite the cumbersome system required it is a lot of fun. True TCP multiplayer would be awesome!

- Full-length movie playback, with editing possible.

- The option for group orders, to make larger games (regiment scale or even larger) playable while still allowing the action to be viewed at the level of individual squads and vehicles.

- AI improvements, especially the ability for scenario designers to assign "postures" or SOPs to units, such as "Aggressive," or "Defend in place."

- A one-click "realism" setting that would set many parameters including view angles, availability of play aids, FOW, available force mixes, and etc. This would enable "Franko's rules" or other "rules" to be set automatically and locked for all players; other settings on the scale might include "arcade," "grognard," an official "tournament mode," and of course, "Custom."

- More finely detailed terrain, either through the use of smaller (5m?) tiles, or better, a smooth, "tile-free" virtual battlefield!

- Improved graphics, with dynamic lighting, water and mud that splashes, tanks that belch diesel exhaust...

- Sun angle that affects spotting and gunnery...tanks that leave tracks across muddy ground, and can tear gaps in wire and hedgerows...

- A more realistic artillery model, doing for artillery simulation what CMX1 has done for infantry and armored combat.

- Improved handling of multi-battle operations, with more detailed calculation of territory controlled, no man's land, fatigue, supply, and etc.

There's more on my wish list, though I'd be happy with half of the things listed above.....the point is that there are so many possibilities for CMX2 that it could be WW2 all over again and yet still be completely "fresh."

[ January 05, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: SFJaykey ]

It's a minor thing ( all things considered ) but what I would like to see would be:

A different way of handling the availability of panzerfausts, gammon bombs, rifle grenades etc.

Instead of having certain weapons (like the ones mentioned above ) allocated to specific units you could have optional weapon 'slots' for infantry units - maybe 2 or 3 slots per unit and then a pool of optional weapons from which you would choose your weapons. For example a german infantry unit could have three optional weapons slots and then the player could choose from any of the following

rifle grenades

panzerfausts

magnetic mines

molatovs

satchel charges

grenade bundles

etcetc. By all means have default settings for individual countries or units, but allow the player to change these via the edit unit option. So if you were designing a scenario and you knew that the unit didn't have rifle grenades but did have magnetic mines/sticky mines you could reflect this in your choice of optional weapons. This would allow greater flexibility ( and hopefully greater historical accuracy and fun )

They're sort of half way there already so this would seem a logical next step. Like I said a minor thing but I would like to see it