yet another question on defense

Hi, I have a question of how much to defend on a broad front.

imagine, wide (800-1200M) front, with a flag in the centre, flat ground with some clumps of trees scattered around. I have SturmKompanie as Defense and one or two ATG. The enemy is two normal US companies with AFVs.

Question: should i defend around the flag to facilitate better co-ordination? or should I spread the defense into far left, centre and far right, and even perhaps split-squads fox-holed as my MLR even though the enemy may just penetrate one sector. I think the question is How much ground should I defend.

Well,

A company would normally be assigned 3-600 meters of frontage, with 4-600 meters depth to go with it, if defending. As in main line of defence that is. A company could be detailed up to 1000 meters if merely delaying.

Considering your position, a frontage of recommended 300 and tops 400 seems reasonable. The measure is not between rightmost and leftmost man, only the stretch of terrain you dominate.

As you can't secure flanks really, and you must defend the flag (and thus cannot deploy on a flank), the enemy obviously has the option to flank and surround you. All-round defence will be the answer to that. Thus depth will reasonably be restricted to being the same as the frontage.

Reserve platoon in the centre, for reinforcing of threatened areas. Defence can fall back upon the centre when things get rough.

I'd split a squad of the reserve platoon and use both teams as scouts, to keep an eye on the enemy. If you keep them out of battle they'll be alright.

I'd keep my head down too. Very much so in fact. Avoiding all combat ranges.

Cheerio

Dandelion

One small advice, don't defend too near to the flag. It's an artifical sign in CMBO that has "we are here" written on it. Especially against the Allies with their powerful arty that can be deadly. Since shells in CMBO fall in a north-south pattern, those areas around the flag should be avoided. 50m to the east or west would be a safer place for your troops, if you can find cover ;) .