Why I (a strategist) bought CMBB.

I had tried the CMBO demo when it came out and wan't impressed - I'm not a tactician.

I was looking forward to CMBB simply because I've been studying the Eastern Front for over 40 years now.

However before CMBB came out I discovered Strategic Command. A wonderful strategic game for only $25!!!! I couldn't believe it! What a steal! I've played it over 30 times and I can still find variants in it.

So now I've purchased CMBB - I stink at it - I even lost the tutorial battles - simply because I want to support Battlefront products. It is well worth the money even if CMBB grows cobwebs in my PC, which it certainly will.

Perhaps I should have tried the Arnhem game.

I used to be mad for grand strategy games. One day I downloaded the CMBO demo and found that tactical games were not as down 'n dirty as I thought they would be.

I never bought CMBO. I preferred to plink away at the demo scenarios. I am still tactically -uhm- deficient, but I enjoyed the demo enough to play it here and there.

Then CMBB came out. It's the only game I have on the hard-drive right now. There isn't a day that goes by when I don't have a 25-turn QB before bed.

It might grow on you like a field-grey fungus yet.

Bullwinkle,

Originally posted by Bullwinkle:

[...]

However before CMBB came out I discovered Strategic Command. A wonderful strategic game for only $25!!!! I couldn't believe it! What a steal! I've played it over 30 times and I can still find variants in it.

I agree. I'm not a "startegist". But I tried the SC demo. I was trapped into the "one more turn" syndrome. I couldn't stop before the demo finishes.

[...]

Airborne Assault ? You should definitely give it a try, the demo is over here.

On AA forums, some said that with full orders delay, the game have a more strategic feeling. Still it stays an operational wargame.

Cheers,

JeF.

Originally posted by Bullwinkle:

So now I've purchased CMBB - I stink at it - I even lost the tutorial battles - simply because I want to support Battlefront products. It is well worth the money even if CMBB grows cobwebs in my PC, which it certainly will.

Airborn Assault is more an old-fashioned war game. Still pretty low-level unit size, but interesting. If you like the demo, I'm willing to trade my copy for your CMBB. I want to get a local friend playing, so a second copy would be great. After CMBB I don't play anything else (well, except Sim City 4...)

Also check out Russo-German War 41-44 from Schwerpunkt.