Idea for new "trigger" command

Hello all,

I was thinking as I was playing my current PBEM game that it would be excellent to have a trigger command for units. Here's how it would work:

You place a unit in Trigger mode, which allows you to sepecify a route they would take when the trigger is activated. Until that time they would remain where they are (perhaps hidden behind a building)

Ok, so far easy...So the trigger mechanism would work like a cover ark via a command unit. Just like command units give LOS for mortars..they could also have a "trigger arc" for which any unit that crossed that arc would cause the "trigger" to fire for any units within it's command radius.

This would allow you to pull of some pretty neat automated surprise moves with armour I think.

Anyways, thought and suggestions for improvements appreciated. (if someones suggested this before..well kudos for getting in first lol)

Cheers

Dale AKA MCP

IMO, it could simulate sitting in ambush and withdrawing before the ambush can be counter attacked. Perhaps a modiifcation of "shoot n' scoot" where you are just waiting in hide mode, then fire and reverese out. In other words, forget about the fast move up to the fire point, just sit wait unitll a target comes along, BANG!! then reverse out.

This would nicely simulate how the Germans used Marders and StuGs in the defensive role. You take a shot at a target and then quickly back out of a prepared hull-down position and move (hopefully sight unseen) into one of several other prepared hull-down positions to repeat the process.

Another use of the trigger command may be to allow tankhunter teams with chuckable TNT to run out of cover a certain distance and assault a tank once it has entered a covered arc (which in this case should be pointed in such a way that the TH will hit the tank on the rear or in a flank). This might be a handy (if also very risky) option if limited range of projectile and scarce terrain cover makes it unlikely that a plain hidden TH hunt will be lucky enough to get a tank to wander within effective range. Limited range in this case increases the need for such a trigger since within one minute a tank could easily have come within and then out of (the now slightly extended) range again of a TH team.