Knocking out Ferdinands

For those who have followed this thread, and for those who are interested, I managed to knock out all three Ferdinands.

What I did was focus on eliminating infantry. Because he took three Ferdinands and because I'd eliminated quite a bit of infantry already, I knew that the few remaining pockets of infantry were probably it, and there were no reserves. So I brought my MGs and rifle platoons to bear, and opened up.

I ordered my SMG platoons up my right flank, since it offered me a nice covered lane right up to the Ferdinands. When I got into range, I ordered them to assault the tanks.

They lobbed grenades, immobilizing two Ferdinands. The third one moved around, and opened fire into the woods, causing quite a few casualties.

But now, they had their backs to another SMG platoon. I ordered them to assault the Ferdinands. By then, then only enemy infantry position was under heavy fire and pinned down nicely, so they managed to make it within grenade range to the Ferdinands. They lobbed grenades immobilizing the third tank, and swarmed all three. Crews bailed out, and the whole force surrendered.

Final result: Axis surrender, Total Allied victory.

My casualties were pretty high, due to some very aggressive (and stupid) assault orders on my part, so I'm not exactly proud about my victory. I am however, very pleased with having taken out three very tough tanks with Infantry.

The more I play this game, the more respect I have for the individual soldiers.

Phemur