A bug? A feature?? A cheat???

Greetings guys!

One thing started to puzzle my mind.

Just finished a PBEM-game (QB, August 1941) and I played with Soviets.

The settings for both players unit quality were "medium", so we got veteran troops with luck.

I started to count both teams qualities and it resulted like this (Germans-Soviets):

conscript 0-1

green 5-7

regular 15-44

veteran 22-6

crack 4-0

German's only tank was crack.

We started a new PBEM and now I play with Germans. Time is September 41 and I got 5 vets + an equal amount of greens.

Is this the way it should be or is there something "fishy" with those numbers?

Has anybody had similar experiences?

By coding definition it can't be a bug, also this is no "for the masses" console game, so it isn't a cheat either...

As for a feature...

It isn't in the manual; neither do I have the code nor the time to test it effectively.

So, once more, I will trust these guys judgment in whatever is in the game code... obviously, until the day :D

Did my logic betrayed me somewhere? ;)

Did it help ? ;)

[ January 20, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: Tanaka ]

I think it's a feature.

By the beginning of Barbarossa, German Units had collected combat experience in the spanish civil war, poland and france. The russians had gained some in the spanish civil war, but they had still plenty of rookies.

So, it seems the game determines that in early 1941, you are quite likely to have a lot of experienced troops as a german.

To the contrary, play a late war game and the russians should have the more experienced warriors.

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

Greetings guys!

One thing started to puzzle my mind.

Just finished a PBEM-game (QB, August 1941) and I played with Soviets.

The settings for both players unit quality were "medium", so we got veteran troops with luck.

I started to count both teams qualities and it resulted like this (Germans-Soviets):

conscript 0-1

green 5-7

regular 15-44

veteran 22-6

crack 4-0

German's only tank was crack.

We started a new PBEM and now I play with Germans. Time is September 41 and I got 5 vets + an equal amount of greens.

Is this the way it should be or is there something "fishy" with those numbers?

Has anybody had similar experiences?

Not completely sure what point you're making, but the manual clearly states that Soviets will be something like 'one level lower' in terms of troop quality than the 'setting', while the German quality setting will be in keeping with the 'setting'. So where the Germans might have 'regular' the Soviets are more likely to have 'green'. This only holds true for the early war period, I think up to late '42 or so.

Is that what you're asking about?

[ January 20, 2003, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Seanachai ]

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Not completely sure what point you're making, but the manual clearly states that Soviets will be something like 'one level lower' in terms of troop quality than the 'setting', while the German quality setting will be in keeping with the 'setting'. So where the Germans might have 'regular' the Soviets are more likely to have 'green'. This only holds true for the early war period, I think up to late '42 or so.

Is that what you're asking about?

Yes that's what I asked for. Thanks! I was kinda afraid that there's some kind of save game editor where you can enhance your side. OK, I'm happy with the answers, thanks!

[ January 20, 2003, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: Kaiser Soze 71 ]

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

By the beginning of Barbarossa, German Units had collected combat experience in the spanish civil war, poland and france. The russians had gained some in the spanish civil war, but they had still plenty of rookies.

*cough* Finnish winter war *cough*

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

*cough* Finnish winter war *cough*</font>

Originally posted by Leutnant Hortlund:

Hm, maybe you guys should read up a bit on what the Red Army's ability to fight winter campaigns looked like pre Finnish winter war and post Finnish winter war.

Then you could attempt some kind of analysis on how important/unimportant this ability was in 1941.

No, you're right. When Soviets lost a huge amounts of soldiers, the whole high command of Winter War changed and tactics as well. Then they started to roll...

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze 71:

...I was kinda afraid that there's some kind of save game editor where you can enhance your side...

That would not only be technically difficult but also illegal to perform...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

... but the manual clearly states that Soviets will be something like 'one level lower' in terms of troop quality than the 'setting'...

That’s for orders “delay times” propose... not for the displayed troops quality (regulars, veterans or whatever).