Poland and Yugoslavia

DLW2

Hi. I was just wondering how other people defend Poland and Yugoslavia. I'm sure that they always end up falling, but how can you hurt the Germans the most while defendng them? I haven't been able to think of a good way yet, and the two countries are almost always taken over extremely quickly when I play the Allies.

[ November 07, 2002, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: DLW2 ]

The best strategy with Yugoslavia is to fail. It essentially creates a unit factory, producing partisans, corps units at half strength, for the war effort. In my opinion, these distractions force the Axis player to invest in Yugoslavian occupation and pulls his attention in some ways, from larger theaters.

Originally posted by DLW2:

Hi. I was just wondering how other people defend Poland and Yugoslavia. I'm sure that they always end up falling, but how can you hurt the Germans the most while defendng them? I haven't been able to think of a good wat yet, and the two countries are almost always taken over extremely quickly when I play the Allies.

I dont think you have to keep the minor countries in perspective - you are not going to be able to defend them - not for long anyway. So if it is a foregone conclusion that they will fall then you have to decide what you are going to do with them before that time. I have two opinions on the matter and it depends on what the setting is as to which I use.

One idea is to prolong the war as long as you possibly and effecively can. Pull all your forces next to the capital, even if they are understrength ones - if there is a unit there at the beginning of the turn it is one fewer hexes youhave exposed to the attacker.

Option two, and I have found this works well against the AI but not as well against human opponents - is try to inflict as much damage as you possibly can regardless of what it does to your own units. If there is a german fleet in the harbour go hit it - if you are within range of an air unit attack it. DONT spend a single MPP reinforcing anything. It doesnt matter what happens to your unit, the goal is to make the conquest of that minor nation as costly to germany as possible. Remember air and naval units are VERY expensive, up to 20 mpps for one point, the minor forces you are given are free.

One question I have for hubert, any other designer, or anyone who may have the answer is this - does the level of plunder depend on the amount of damage done to a nations forces. In other words if you take poland after wiping out all of their forces do you get less plunder than if there were several corps left? (and presumably all of their equipment, arms, supplies, weapons, etc..)

Is this something that anyone thinks may be an idea to add? Perhaps it would give incentive or perhaps a bonus above normal plunder for agressive action and a very quick capture of a minor nation.