Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

I DO have the map upside down!

Bullwinkle

Thanks for the "comeuppance" from all of you. I can see your point - I just didn't think that Russia would be capable of invasion so soon given the Stalin purges of '39 that depleted its officer corps. I am also skeptical of Polish coersion with the Soviets since they certainly don't like one another. Finally the Russian army behaved like the army of 1945, not the army of 1941. But that may not be programmable.

Oh, and thanks Jersey - that cartoon had me laughing too!

Bullwinkle

You're a good sport which is a great quality to have -- couldn't resist the cartoon; don't hesitate to give me similar treatment and I only hope I'll be as gracious as you've been.

Regarding Russia -- it's a point I've posted at least a dozen times. Same viewpoint. With the Purges and all the USSRs internal problems I don't think Russia should have the option of premptive war -- the only exception being if it's handed over on a silver platter. In addition to everything else, Stalin was scared as hell of becoming another Czar Nicholas II being done in by a prolonged and ruinous war. He even sent peace feelers to Hitler throughout most of the German invasion!

There have been a lot of postings on either starting the game earlier -- 1936 is the year that keeps coming up -- where Germany can choose much of it's pre-war options, or having variants. For example, a situation where Poland starts off neutral and Germany is poised to move west or north first, without having an Eastern Front. But in the game scenario the basic flaw is Germany's already gone out of it's way to instigate an immediate war with Poland as the other postings have already mentioned [Polish army attacks German radio station -- acting in self-defense Germany conquers two thirds of country in eighteen days -- what the hell was that supposed to be? :D ].

I hope you post for the variant or earlier start solution as the more of us who chime in the greater chance there we have of getting a change enabled. As evidenced in V 1.06, Hubert is very responsive to ideas from the players.

Bill Macon --

Agreed completely. These classic cartoons are the root of all their successors; like classical music and everything that came afterwards, when you least expect it there's Bach popping up in Rock, jazz, whatever . . ..

I'm glad we have access to the cartoon images; they speak without anything being added. About which, great click link, thanks for a good laugh!

[ December 10, 2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]