Fire In The East Potential?

granth

For those who remember the old Europa Series board games, Fire In The East and Scorched Earth, they were extremely playable while forcing you to think of the long-term grandstrategy. While it is highly unlikely SC 2 would move to a 20 mile, one week turn based system with stacking etc., I would like to suggest that SC while extremely enjoyable, might be well served to move a little closer to the thinking behind the Europa series. From the numerous posts to this board, there appears to be a clear message that players are looking for a product that introduces more complexity into the system than is currently provided by SC. For those who have played the Europa series board games, I'd appreciate your comments in regards to striking a balance between that series and what SC currently offers.

I'm in favor of improvements if the complexities are built-in, i.e. more comprehensive game system that covers a greater aspect of play. Even a little more work on the player's part is okay if it's on a one time basis, like setting something at the start of play and leaving it unless you want to change it later, the way the research system works. Otherwise I agree with Steve. As is the game flows very well. It would be great if that flow were maintained and the game improved too.

I don't know if it qualifies but I have the WW II in Europe DOS game put out by the makers of Europa Universals. It's good, and it's pretty comprehensive, but I find it a bit unweildy. There are gamers who like tons of detail each turn, and for them that sort of system is probably very enjoyable.

[ February 19, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]