Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Question/suggestion about reinforcing...

Scorpion_22

SC is a wonderful game, but what do you think about the current reinforcement model?

Do you think that it´s good that units are able to instantly replenish&reinforce their strength while being in the frontlines?

I had the assuption that in WW2, if a unit was nearly crippled (like in this game dropped to 1-3 strength points) it had to be pulled back and reinforced & reorganised in relative peace.

Can you really do all that (ie. bring 50 000 replacement troops to the unit and that´s that)?

I think this is one of the reasons contributing to the game becoming a "trench warfare", since you are easily able to hold the line by reinforcing a crippled unit on the spot, regardless of it being engaged?

I think it might be nice if you could only reinforce a unit when there aren´t enemy land units adjacent to it.

This might mean that you mustn´t necessarily completely demolish a unit to achieve things. (We all know the feeling : "Aw damn, it was left with 1 strength point and my efforts were for naught")

This way you´d need to keep reserves to take the place of crippled units.

Of course, with the game scale being so large, it is entirely appropriate to assume that the "reinforcing and reorganizing" takes place on an invisible level, ie. the individual divisions are being rested & refitted behind the lines, and when you reinforce that army, you just bring that division or two and attach it to the army...entirely appropriate.

So this is not something that I´m complaining about, it´s just an interesting idea I had that concerns the game play, not the realism.

I agree with your suggestion that you can't reinforce units where ever you want but disagree with suggestion that you can reinforce when is no enemy unit nearby. My suggestion is that you can reinforce only in city hex or hexes around city like in Panzer General game.

Yeah, in my idea units would be able to reinforce when next to a city hex, too.

And maybe if you were engaged to an enemy you couldn´t reinforce to full strength, just something like 8, to represent the newbies getting slaughtered ;)

Anyway, the gameplay effect I was looking for was to think about a way to prevent those "oh no, 1 strength point left - ZAP it´s at full fighting strength again"-things.

Could this be accomplished by having enemy troops adjacent to a hex have a negative effect on the supply level of that hex?

That way troops adjacent to the enemy would have reinforcements limited by the low supply level; it would also cause units in continual enemy contact to lose readiness (simulating creeping combat fatigue).

It might also stop you from being able to operate troops directly into the front line, though I forget whether supply level is relevant to that.