Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Newbie questions

Grotius

Hi all,

I'm thoroughly enjoying SC, but I have a few questions:

1. As Germany, I start with a couple of U-boats in the North Atlantic. They have fun intercepting some shipping, but sooner or later the Royal Navy chases after them and whittles them down. Is there anyway to get the subs to a port to resupply them and bring them replacements? Not that it's a large priority; I'm just wondering whether they are destined to sit out there for the whole war. Even after the fall of France, they can't get by the Royal Navy to reach a friendly port.

2. Along the same lines, what is the Italian to do about that pesky air unit on Malta? Naval bombardment is ineffective (or worse), and I assume amphibious assault is out of the question.

3. More generally, what if any Axis/Allied objectives are there in the Med?

4. For the Axis, is it worth conquering Norway? If so, when? By the time I was done with Poland and Denmark, I was itching to visit Paris, so I skipped Norway. Do you all attack Denmark/Norway while still busy with Poland?

5. Any advice on how to conduct an amphibious landing? An HQ would seem to be essential, no? In my first full game, at one of the harder difficulty settings, I conquered France and then conducted Operation Sea Lion -- an invasion of England. OK, call me a dope; I just felt like it. <grin> It took me a couple of turns to realize that I'd need to land an HQ to keep my units in supply, but even then the HQ only kept them at half supply or lower. By then I'd lost my momentum. (Not to mention my fleet and half the units I tried to transport. <g>) Also, invading England seems to tick off the Russians. They declared war on me in mid-1941. Heh, gotta love fighting a war of attrition on the Eastern Front while trying to capture London. I did get a few cracks at London before I gave up. Call it Operation Sea Lion Cub.

6. I kinda wish there were some way I could butter up the Yanks and the Russkies with diplomacy. Any way to do that?

7. Is there any place to download user-created variants? If not, any general advice on what variants are fun to make on my own?

Thanks!

Addressing your points:

1) My experience is that you will always lose those subs.

2) The best way to deal with Malta is to bomb the ajacent port to 0. then surround the lsland with cruisers and battleships and bombard. You'll need some air units on Sicily as well. You can make it very difficult to supply Malta with this strategy.

3) A lot of players have been asking for a more important objectives in the MED. ME among them. I'd like to see Suez have a point value and possesion of certain key areas (gibraltor, malta, suez) to enable either side to build units in Alexandria.

4) probably more valuable in a PBM game as a distraction. The problem with doing in a computer game is it sucks up so many Brittish resources that can be used for other things.

5) Yes it's impossible to keep the invaders in supply without an HQ. Even better an HQ with experience!!!

6) don't think there is besides picking Random or Historical mode

7) I think there is but I have'nt tried it yet.. Still trying to master the game as is!!!

[ October 11, 2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: Zeres ]

In my latest PBEM game, I decided to wait against Norway. First I took out the Poles, then on to Denmark then quickly into France. I broke through the front lines and my opponent began a full withrdrawl of his remaining units to England.

Once I took France I went after Sweden instead of Norway, and invaded Greece with the Italians. At this point, it is late 1940 and the Axis pretty much owns Europe and are gearing up for Barbarossa. The US is at about 60% and the Russians are at a steady 55% war readiness.

I didn't take Norway for a few reasons. Taking Norway gives the Allies an easy spot to invade an Axis territory. Not to mention target practice for their ships and carriers. I like having the buffer there. Plus it saves a little time so I can really build up for the Russians and establish a good defense in France.

Against the CPU however, I would probably take Norway early.