Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

First impression of SC

Panzer Joe

First Let me congradulate you an a quality game. Very solid well balanced and extreemly playable. Most games of this size get far to bogged down in detail to be realy playable.

My one single biggest complaint about the game.... The map is to small. The scale is fine but the map should extend 3 more hexes south east and west.

On the east it is impossible to atttack into russia from the south without attacking Turky. The Persian/Soviet border is only one hex wide and is to easily blocked. Making the North

African battles less important.

On the South the narrow strip of N africa makes it impossible to fight the way the armies realy did. They extended into the south and tried to flank or over extend the other side. Only near the Quatar depression should there be a natural choke point.

In the west the United States is TO SMALL. once the US gets into the war it is very easy to place an Corp or army on every costal hex. Even if you cover every hex in Canada with air power it is impposible to destroy the US fast enough to land troops. The US has many things in it's favor but narrow easily defendable coast lines is not one of them. Please give me at least as many hexes in North america as you give to Britan and Ireland.

Glad you like the game Joe !

It has it's flaws,we discuss them often,as well suggestions for improvement.

Did you play the game in multiplayer yet?That's were it really shines!

We have a PBMEM-league and TCP/IP league,feel free to join them.

Welcome to the community smile.gif

[ September 19, 2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: kurt88 ]

Welcome Panzer Joe,

i personally find that invading USA is a truly too much gamey thing, so i usually (as axis) try to go for englan (sealion) or urrs-england, when i consider the game as finished. Obviously if you want the 'game won' pop up you still have to invade USA, but at such a stage in game, you could probably field 1-2 carriers a turn, so building up a massive air strike force isn't that difficult, even if the AI has massed corps everywhere.

No I haven't had the chance yet. I have been playing the demo for the last 4 days and the Full game only came out last night. I stayed up to 3 AM marching the Nazis across Europe.

I didn't quit until I just got completly disgusted trying to make a foothold on Vestung Amerika.

Partisans work great BTW. I was very impressed by how effective they were.

After Conquering all of Europe and Canada I turned my sight on the US. My fleet was very small but more than a match for the US navy. With 1 German Cruiser and sub and 3 Italian Battle ships.

I took Canada over 6 months before starting on the US. I had 3 Level 4 jets and 2 Level 2 heavy bombers and the Bock HQ. (why is it I could not sea transport Rockets?)

I was able to claim 3 hexes on the cost. Two in the north and one in the south. Five air units bombing and four surface ships hitting the coast day and night but I was only able to claim one additional hex in a year of fighting. I managed to destroy all of Americas HQs and air units but as his units died he replaced them with armies.

I was not able to capitalize on any destroyed units and I couldn't kill them fast enough to make a dent in the US economy. My units kept dieing and being replaced his units ended at full str every turn. If there was more coast line I could have established a beach head and moved out. I felt like Churchill at Gallipoli sitting there and watching unit after unit get destroyed in the same 2 hexes.

Tonight I will build a force of 8+ carriers and pound America into the dust.

[ September 19, 2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Panzer Joe ]

Joe

I understand your frustration.The map needs improvement,but that'll be for SC2 I fear.How was the supply value on your units?

But you really should start playing against human opponents,you'll have much more fun.The ai is somewhat lame and predictable.

Here's a link where you can register for PBEM play.The league just started and we need more players! ;)

PBEM LEAGUE

The unit I put down next to an HQ did fine but the units I put in the south had a life span of two turns. I kept shoveling troops down there just to try to get the AI to use up some of their build points.

I put them down there in the first place to support my air attacks on his HQ units. After the HQs died his saved cash just kept going up and up. It is alot cheeper to replace infantry than HQs and air units. I may have done better if I hadn't killed off the weakened expencive units.