Hmmm...

Flash Gordon

...my definition of "gamey" is something which is unrealistic being forced upon me by shortcomings in the game engine.

One thing that is gamey is that you can save up MMP's and suddenly "buy" an air-craft carrier when it reality, it would take quite a while for the keel to be laid down for the ship and for it to be completed.

Another thing that is gamey is that you can saturate an area with surface ships but only submarines seem to do any commerce raiding.

Invading Canada (which I did) is not gamey if you have the means at your disposal to do so (I had a powerful navy and troops to burn so I did). However, I find the actual conquest of Canada in the game gamey because only the eastern tip is modeled so as soon as you take the first major city, the Canucks fold up and quit - I think bloody not...Canada is a land mass almost as big as China. It would be a nightmare to capture as the Canadians would have tons of real estate that they could give up in order to buy time to call up reserves. It would also be a nightmare to keep since you'd have to have a lot of troops garrisoning it. But IF you had the means to transport the troops across the Atlantic Ocean and IF you had supremacy of the waves (which I did, having sunk the Royal, US and Free French navies) and IF you had the sufficient number of troops, yes, I suppose you could conquer Canada.

Flash --

A forum a few pages back (North America) went into this in great detail and reached exactly that conclusion, or a similar one, that it would have needed the full resources of the Axis after having conquered Britain.

Also, the U. S. would be screaming Monroe Doctrine and even the most extreme isolationist would have enlisted!

Even with the large ocean fleet Hitler was planning in post war musings I think a better chance would have been West Africa - Brazil -Caribean, (Just like in Risk) where a sensible base of operations could have been established.

Where's the North Atlantic springboard, Iceland/Greenland? I don't think that would have worked if for no other reason, the long seasons of bad weather.

[ October 31, 2002, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]