Couple of questions.

Clinton

1.)I have been wargaming for a couple of years now, but most have been small unit games such as Combat Missions and Close Combat. Now I see a bunch of term thrown around concerning an Operation Level Game or a Corps Level Game, ect... Could some one please give me an example of these types of games, such as what type is SC or a game like RDoA, or Uncommon Valor. I know Close Combat and CM are small unit games but what category do they fall under as well.

2.)Is there to be airborne operations is SC? How can one simulate D-Day or Op Market Garden without paratroops?

Thanks,

Clinton

Originally posted by Clinton:

1.)I have been wargaming for a couple of years now, but most have been small unit games such as Combat Missions and Close Combat. Now I see a bunch of term thrown around concerning an Operation Level Game or a Corps Level Game, ect... Could some one please give me an example of these types of games, such as what type is SC or a game like RDoA, or Uncommon Valor. I know Close Combat and CM are small unit games but what category do they fall under as well.

2.)Is there to be airborne operations is SC? How can one simulate D-Day or Op Market Garden without paratroops?

Thanks,

Clinton

1: SC would be a strategic level game in that you control all, or at least, most of the country's direction. Production, politics (to an extent) ect. It can also imply controlling the entire war's overall procecution.

Operational level games are generally more focused on purely military matters. The Operational Art of War by Norm Kroger is probably the best example. In this you can control large masses of units, and usually deal with supply issues, but generally have no control over production, diplomacy, ect. They're usually restricted to a certain point in the war, not the entire thing, but some have really stretched the boundries on this. Uncommon Valor and Steel Panthers are operational level games.

Tactical level games are pure military (Generally no supply issues, production, ect) games in which you take a small unit (Platoon up to probably brigade, battalion sized) and control it for a particular part of the overall war. CM and CC are examples of these.

2: As for this, no airborne, although it's hotly debated. smile.gif It's figured to be beyond the scope of SC. You can't do Market Garden because that was a tactical/operational maneuver, and this is strategic, or so the thinking goes. Just assume that most of your armies have airborne included in them, and when you attack all those things are going on "behind the scenes" as it were.