Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A Rather Serious AI Glitch: Gamekiller

BriantheWise

Premise: I still love playing the AI, because it's very convenient, and interruptions don't matter. I can just click on, set the Axis to +2, make the minor allies historical and still have a pretty challenging game (The axis can invade spain without losing the minors this way).

Problem/Glitch: With 1.06, the British can keepd keep a corp in Brest after the French surrender.

The Germans will send two armors to attack Brest. One does nothing. The other attacks each turn, inflicting 2 to 3 hits. They will have their 3 airs bombarding London and London's port endlessly.

The problem arises from the fact that the Axis do will not attack anything else until that French port is taken. The air fleets don't help with taking Brest. The armor attacks once per turn. The allies reinforce the corp to 5, the armor attacks. The allies reinforce...

In the meantime, the Germans do nothing else. They forget about attacking Vichy, or Spain or anything, because they haven't consolidated their conquest of France. And the air fleets do not help with taking Brest. They just keep bombing England.

And the calender rolls forward.

So it's kind of a glitch that prevents the more experienced players here from taking on the AI at it's best and strongest. (Even excluding the Brest issue, I can beat the AI as Allies at Expert +2. But I can't once I disable free french, partisans, siberian transfer, and so on. At least not yet).

Just wanted to point this out.

Sometimes you have to cut the Axis AI some slack in the early game to make it interesting. Some things to consider:

- Once the French border is breached, start pulling out of the Maginot Line. The AI wants to take those three hexes before going after Paris, which really drags out the battle for France.

- Hold Brest long enough to take a hit and then pull out. It's a bad habit to think you can hold it against a human, and as noted it really screws up the AI game. Trying to hold Bordeaux is more risky; the AI will attack.

- Let Axis conquer Greece, but keep reinforcing the Athens corps and make them work for it. It's too easy to just send the Brits in and hold Greece and that tends to screw up the AI game, but makes an interesting variation occassionally.

- Try taking Libya with only an overland campaign; no seaborne invasions to surround Tobruk or Tripoli. Or wait until after Germany attacks Russia.

The idea is to recognize the AI limitations and work around them. They can be gamekillers only if you let them. Once the Axis AI is up and running with Barbarossa, then roll up your sleeves and play hard ball. That's when it gets interesting.

Btw, good point about setting Axis minors to historical rather than random. That's a good variation. ;)

[ January 19, 2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Bill Macon ]

Bill,

I totally agree. Once I spotted the glitch, I removed the British, so that the Axis (AI), could get on with it.

But I had waited a few turns, and I think that the AI had determined that the time had passed to attack Vichy (and Spain and Portugal).

An AI can only do so much. And as we have found, there are so many nuances to this game. It's difficult for Hubert to figure out all the impacts of the changes he has made. I was just point this one out, since it's a bit glaring. I could put a fleet next to Brest and the axis air would attack it, but not the ground unit.

It's just one of those small errors that are fixable, I think (not sure).

And yes, once it goes to Russia, it's challenging and fun.

I love playing live, but sometimes, meeting the commitments of the follow on engagement is tough. (Still though, that's the best part, this live play).

And you know what I mean, and so it goes....