Surprises in computer selected forces

Lately I've been playing only Quick Battles with computer selected forces. In a PBEM game currently underway, a fighter bomber appeared and attacked one of my opponent's units. According to the message he sent with the next move, he thinks the FB is mine. I thought the FB was his, and immediately ordered my units to take cover.

When the computer is selecting forces, how do you know when it buys air support? I don't know the costs of all the units, so I can't total the costs of the units displayed on the bottom of the map and compare with my total points available.

Answer: You dont.

I had that happen once, my own Air support turned on me. I was defending against a large Armored advance, with my opponent's AFV's right in the open, while my own men were hidden.

The enemy had flak trucks though, so I guess the Fighter Bombers decided it was much safer to simply bombard my own positions then risk getting shot down by those flaks.

:rolleyes:

here's a direct quote from the manual

"Fighter pilots can misidentify targets and attack friendly units by mistake. Do not be too surprise when, especially while locked in close combat with an enemy, a couple of FRIENDLY bombs take out your last tank!"

Air support, like artillery barrage, is an equal opportunity ASSET. It will kill both sides. tongue.gif

Yeah, Coyote. That's why the immediate attack on one of my opponent's units didn't convince me the FB was mine.

The FB has since made a second pass over the battlefield and attacked my opponent's StuG: three craters, no hits. That increases the probability that the FB is mine, but I'm still reluctant to move out into the open.