PLEASE share your favorite method of avoiding friendly vehicle collisions

It's about my only serious gripe with CM and I'm playing a snow scenario that forces me to stay on the roads. As he is want to do, Wild Bill has given me plenty of fun armor to play with, but the collisions and ultra-conservative TacAI replots are driving me batty.

Please share your favorite method or trick to avoid collisions with your own vehicles!

[This message has been edited by Binkie (edited 02-08-2001).]

Guest Mirage2k

Always keep a fair distance (50 - 100m) between vehicles and keep vehicles with higher experience levels in front.

-Andrew

------------------

"No, it's not that kind of relationship. We're just friends. We are together all the time, but I never touch her porcelain skin, her soft, red lips, like rose petals from the emperor's bathwater! Bathwater, I tell you, bathwateeeeeeer!"

Always keep a fair distance (50 - 100m) between vehicles and keep vehicles with higher experience levels in front.

-Andrew

In addition I have found you had place one vehicle on right and left sides of a dirt road and not get bogged down(at least in wet conditions). Of course if your lead elements are attacked and stop to take care of the threat, you can have rest of the column bunch up behind them and become a big target for arty.

Cos

Guest KwazyDog

Also Binkie, use the move command where ever possible as all vehicles will move at the same speed, instead of their maximum speed.

Dan

- try to make convoys be vehicles of the same type-- all similar halftracks, etc. You can move them "fast" if you do this and they won't collide.

- keep track of their movement delays before you start them, and add any necessary delays to make them start in a reasonable order if they're all bunched up.

- When you park them, line them up like a parking lot (diagonal parking, backed in)so that they're easy to pull out into a line. Sometimes I like to park 4 halftracks so a platoon can run up and hop into them and head across the map, or even have them parked loaded as mechanized reserves.

- plot the moves so that the lines don't go over each other at all, basically a bunch of parallel lines along the road (or wherever). If you can't do that, then at least try to do staggered lines so that the first vehicle is on the left, second on the right, third on the left, etc.

- take routes that are just plain different-- especially if you have to go through enemy fields of fire, then there are lots of targets that require shifts of aim before you can hit them.

- once they're in motion, add pauses in subsequent turns if someone is overtaking.

I generally don't have much trouble with vehicles bunching up (and I've played some pretty big scenarios) if I use approximately these rules. And I usually put the vehicles on "fast".

It did just strike me though, that since "move" is really the right way to make a convoy (once you work out the command delay), a command like "vmove" that is faster than walking pace, but slow enough that most vehicles can do it (and the same speed for all vehicles) might be a simple addition to CM2 that makes it easier to move bunches of vehicles and doesn't require any AI additions. Really slow vehicles (max speed <20 mph or so) might have to be excluded to make this useful.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)