what are sturmgruppen?

So were they 'ad-hoc' units? Why are they in CM if that is the case? Or were they actually separate units available within a German division? If normal troops with extra weaponry, why higher squad sizes?

So many questions...

(Basically I want to know whether it would be realistic to have scenarios based in Italy with SG on the German side, and under what conditions.)

------------------

Never leave your mind so open your brains fall out.

Originally posted by ropey:

What units were classed as Sturmgruppen?

An interesting question, I never thought about it before. When I look on the equipment they had I can't figure out what kind of troop they should be. If they had demo charges and flamethrowers, I would say

'Assault engineers', but they have non. If they would be equipped with a lot of SMG, MP-44 and LMG, I would think a light infantery assault group for close combat and/or housefighting, but they have mainly rifles.

The only reference I could find on Assualt Groups leads to German troops of the WW1, used for small, local attacks. But we aren't in WW1.

BTS, can you explain?

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Scipiobase

Join the Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club

Guest Andrew Hedges

In the US Army's official history of the Bulge, there are a lot of descriptions of actions that begin with an attack by a german "assault company." Unfortunately, the history doesn't seem to have any specifics on what an assault company is, exactly.

Guest Space Thing

If they were so rare, (I'll ask it too), why are they in CMBO?

Personally, I think that they should be there. I also think that ALL units on the Western front should be in CMBO. None should be left out. I'm thinking of the M16 AAMG HT, but that was another post. smile.gif

All I'm saying is that there should be some consistency when it comes to including what units are in a game. The only way to do it fairly is to put ALL of them in and let us decide whether to use them. Besides, the rarity rules in CM2 should take care of ANY problems.

Originally posted by ropey:

What units were classed as Sturmgruppen? Were there any in Italy?

I believe that this is supposed to represnet a company of Storm Troopers. They were regular units, not an ad-hoc formation.

As for if there were any in Italy, I have no idea.

Red Dog is correct. The stormtroopers fought on all fronts including Italy, Africa, Russia, and all over Europe.

Watch Stalingrad sometime. It's about a group of stormtroopers who at the outset of the film are stationed in the Med. and receive honors for their fighting in the battle of El Alamein.

I also seem to recall a Schiffer military publishers book about the Sturmgruppen (don't remember where, however).

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 02-18-2001).]