Hi-res vs. low res SKY

Hi all,

I've noticed that some of the sky mods (Tiger's and Ben's in particular) include both a hi-res and low res version. My machine keeps loading the low res version of each mod I try.

Is there a way to load the hi-res skies by default?

The files (hi vs. low) are seperate .bmp files, so how does the game know which one I want loaded?

Thanks in advance for any answers...

Tempest

p.s. I did try a search, but after three timeouts by the search engine I figured this would be faster. Also, I didn't see anything mentioned on this in the FAQ thread.

Thanks again!

As far as I know you can't force it to display one or the other without upgrading your graphics card. (If I'm wrong about this please let me know, I have a 16MB card and I'd love to be able to see the high res versions of skies...) Adding detail to the low res skies doesn't seem to help either, at least when I tested it on my computer...

On the plus side, if you are running my skies, it will be harder to notice the mistakes I have cleverly included as a fun contest for overly critical people ;)

What kind of video card do you have?

If it's a Voodoo 3 or older, then that's why it loads the low-res textures. Voodoo 3's and older don't like textures above 256x256 pixels. Ben's Hi-Res skies are like what? 1024x256 or something?