Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

PC Sims getting noticed more and more

Guest Kinch

Below is a direct quote from a flight sim site I visit. It is avsim.com. It's news today. I wonder if CM would be of value at Boot Camp or maybe for more advanced training.

See below.

- Kinch

"In an article published in the February edition of "Proceedings", the U.S. Naval Institute's monthly magazine, retired Navy Captain David Coleman advocates the consideration of PC based commercial simulations, including flight simulators. Specifically, Coleman states as a conclusion to his article "Commercial gaming technology is no panacea for training and analysis problems in the naval service. However, it is demonstrably available and cost-effective. It can easily rectify a number of tactical training deficiencies and help us to quickly assess and test new war fighting concepts." "Proceedings" is published monthly by the Naval Institute and is widely read in both the U.S. Navy and in naval forces around the world. If you can get your hands on the February issue, we recommend that you read Captain Coleman's article. You can access the Naval Institute's web site here." http://www.usni.org/

I don't think CM meets their definition of a sim and wouldn't be considered for boot camp or any form of initial entry training. New soldiers, marines etc must learn the basics of soldiering before they can become accomplished armchair battalion commanders.

I'm in a real US Army wargame right now and it is so far removed from CM, CC, SP or any other popular commercial wargame it is amazing. I think most folks would be shocked. Of course there are also sim nets that replicate tanks and IFVs for crew training but those sims use special hardware to reinforce crew tasks. Tank gunners don't use a mouse in their tanks so any PC tank sim is automatically coming up short in that regard.

The game I'm in is called Corps Battle Simulation and it would never sell in the market place. Workstations control a variety of units from squad to army group in size. It is real time only and requires huge numbers of players, none of whom are the targe audience for the training benefit. We've got about 500 folks sitting at workstations moving their little icons around and feeding reports to the brigade and division staffs in their TOCs. Those guys are the target audience. Having 500 guys play on the computer is cheaper than actually putting a couple of divisions into the field.

I've seen frequent and enthusiastic comments about how great CM would be for the Army, Marines whomever. The military focuses on training as you fight and since CM is designed to be played by one person it cannot meet this requirement, however good it is.

Well I cant ask for a better reply than that! I would think your thesis that the large number of "gamers" required to make a sim worthwhile for the military would hold true for the Navy also. So I am not sure what the guy was writing about - makes it all the more interesting.

You do not think future platton leaders would gain any insight solving tactical problem in a CM like game/sim?

- Kinch