Extreme conditions (CM2), and psychiatric casualties

I was reading Beevor's Stalingrad the other day (it is excellent, by the way), and I couldn't help but start thinking about CM2. As BTS has frequently mentioned, they already have too many ideas to implement in CM2, so I don't know if they want to discuss new ones. Well, this message can be ignored freely smile.gif

Anyway, my first question is about the poor physical condition of men in the eastern front. There was hunger, sickness, fatigue etc., and I really don't think that one can get a realistic feeling of what is was like there without having worn out men that are too tired to run, and may collapse at any moment (some men died there while just standing, with no obvious reason, and Germans had to send top physicians to find out what was happening).

So do you think that the current set of physical / mental conditions in CM can be used to model such behaviour, or do you have plans to include new states or different dynamics?

Second, the condition of equipment was also pretty lousy. I don't think that one should have to model the mice that ate the insulation from wires biggrin.gif, but I think that lack of fuel and spare parts (increased probability of breakdowns and jams) are an issue. Do you have any plans for these?

Third, for those who might be interested, there was a review article in last weeks Nature of a book concerning psychiatric breakdown in war. There's probably a lot of clinical / psychiatric stuff included, at least when describing how different disorders were analysed, but also a lot of stuff that might be both useful and illuminating. For example, the review states that psychiatric casualties made up about 30% of US casualties when they encountered Wehrmacht in Tunisia, since the US was not very well prepared for these disorders. The book was praised for its historical accuracy. The book is written by Ben Shephard and is called A War of Nerves: Soldiers and Psychiatrists 1914-1994.

Guest Germanboy

I think that CM models panicking of individual soldiers. The casualties in a squad are supposed to be killed, wounded and those who decide to seek their fortune elsewhere, AFAIK. And squads can break/rout in combat.

The generally bad condition - if you want to put that into a scenario, just have the side that is affected set to exhausted/weary at the start. They will take a while to recover (that would be the effect of the adrenalin, I guess wink.gif.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

The generally bad condition - if you want to put that into a scenario, just have the side that is affected set to exhausted/weary at the start. They will take a while to recover (that would be the effect of the adrenalin, I guess wink.gif.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would probably also be realistic if units could never recover from being tired. This would simulate the effects of severe cold, robbing squads of energy, no matter how much adrenalin is in their systems.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska