PANTHER ROUNDED MANTLET

CM lists 110mm turret front, does game account for rounded mantlet where impact angles can vary from 0° to about 65° or 70° at top and bottom of round armor.

Also curious if ricochet thru hull top probabilities account for bending of small rounds as they bounce off thick armor (high T/D), which decreases chance of a hull top penetration. This would address comment on whether 37mm APCBC ricochet penetrates Panther hull top alot.

Guest morjit

The little c after the armor value means the angle changes depending on where it's hit. So yes CM does take it into account.

I can't remember but I think elite crews have a better chance of hitting a weak point.

------------------

Jason

Combat Mission Canadian HQ

cmhq.tzo.com/canada

37mm kills due to Panther mantlet ricochets is an issue that would be best addressed by some sort of historical support or report. Maybe some Panther crewmen who have knowledge of mantlet ricochet problems could speak on the limitations of the problem (which ammo types were of practical concern).

Would heavy machine gun AP bullets at 100m ricochet and kill a Panther?

We know that ricochet kills occurred but there really isn't a large database with ranges and what type of ammo and range.

37mm APCBC ricochet kills seem far-fetched, long thin 37mm rounds would probably bend and fly off at a weird angle.

37mm ROF adds to the problem.

Yes, Elite crews do have a big advantage in getting weak point kills and in rate of fire.

I tried with regular crews but gave up after a few turns.

However, this does help to establish that it is possible to get a ricochet kill on the panther with a 37mm out to 740m or so.