Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Combat Mission Random Battle generator

The generator was being hit about ten to fifteen times each day, on average (not counting people running it over and over, which I assume are "first timers"). For those of you who used it regularly, you may have noticed it disappeared late last night. My DNS provider also disappeared -- at least they have become unreachable from some geographic areas, including my own, and those of friends in a several-hundred-mile radius. The DNS service insist the problem isn't theirs, but I've watched the area of inaccessability spread for a couple of weeks, and tracert utils all across the net can't seem to find them. Long story short -- I moved the whole site and my DNS services elsewhere. A friend of mine runs a big ISP down south with real, live off-site hot swaps and everything.

It won't be hosted from the server in the living room anymore :D and it should be up more or less permanently within a day or two.

I'm heading to Paris late tomorrow (Le Mans calls), and I mention this for a reason: if the battle generator goes away again, it isn't permanent, I'm just a few thousand miles away and unable to make the necessary phone calls to figure out what went wrong, and it should return in 15 days or so at the most.

I'd also like to mention that it's quite gratifying to have received the occasional e-mail in support of the generator, see the posts from people who like it, and basically just see it being USED so often. It's fun to provide a useful free service like this -- probably it won't be AS much fun using a remote server, there's something kind of cool about knowing that people around the world are hitting the server over there next to the stereo, but I had my moment, right?

We now return you to your regularly scheduled IS-3 and nVidia arguments.