Ultimate grognard quiz- the magnetic declination for France

If I had a compass and was trying to find my way from say, Falise to Aachen, what should I set my compass for to compensate for the difference between true north and magnetic north? IE in Alaska, true north is 22 degrees west of magnetic.

So who's the uber navigator grognard, and who couldn't find West without four tries?

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

If I had a compass and was trying to find my way from say, Falise to Aachen, what should I set my compass for to compensate for the difference between true north and magnetic north? IE in Alaska, true north is 22 degrees west of magnetic.

So who's the uber navigator grognard, and who couldn't find West without four tries?

The declination in Paris, France is 1 degree 44 minutes west. I pulled it off a canadian web site:

http://www.geolab.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/geomag/MIRP/run_mirp

Do you also want the vector from one place to the other?

(edited to note that Paris is at 48 degrees, 49 minutes north, and 2 degrees 29 minutes east. The declination was calculated for 2001-- the model will only calculate back to 1960, when the declination was 6 deg 22 min west. I'll work on getting June 1944, Normandy.)

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 02-02-2001).]

Looks like Chrisl wins the nav-grognard award. That's a pretty cool website. Your prize is... um... I'll think of something. If you can find the declination for 1944, you are truly a first class a nav-grog.

------------------

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

I know I am going to regret this, but...Why?

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

Originally posted by Sailor Malan:

I know I am going to regret this, but...Why?

Why does he want to know, or why is true north not the same as magentic north?

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Why?

1. To see if anyone knew

2. I've got my Grandpa's compass that he carried in WWII. I got to thinking that I should set it for France instead of Alaska.

------------------