Still unanswered : why are drivers so stupid?

It seems impossible for drivers to swerve slower or still standing friendly vehicels!!! It's nearly impossible to move a couple of vehicels at the same time when there's not much place to manoeuver. It usualy ends in a traffic jam, and then god help you if the enemy has LOS.

That really sucks!!!

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 02-04-2001).]

Well, it helps to move the vehicles that have better experince first as they have a smaller delay time. This gets them going first.

During the set-up phase, make sure they are out in front and then just stagger ending movement waypoints back a little bit from one another and you won't get this traffic jam.

Sure, if you send out a Green Sherman out in front of a Veteran Sherman along the same movement path, you are going to get them jumbled up.

------------------

"Upon my signal, unleash Hell."--General Maximus, Gladiator

"Aim small, miss small."--Mel Gibson, The Patriot

Originally posted by Scipio:

It seems unpossible for drivers to swerve slower or still standing friendly vehicels!!! It's nearly impossible to move a couple of vehicels at the same time when there's not much place to manoeuver. It usualy ends in a traffic jam, and then god help you if the enemy has LOS.

That really sucks!!!

We wonder the same thing every rush hour in Los Angeles...

I generally will give them a sequence of pauses to start them moving 15 seconds apart, and/or stagger them slightly side to side. With a little practive it really is possible, but at the same time, you'll start to discover that unless you're well behind your own lines and out of LOS of the enemy, moving in close groups isn't usually a good idea, because you become susceptible to arty on the whole group, or direct fire taking out the vehicles on the ends and jamming up the whole lot. Hitting the front and back vehicles first was a common tactic to trap a convoy or other small group of vehicles.

------------------

"If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk." (stolen from some web page about lutefisk)

Originally posted by chrisl:

We wonder the same thing every rush hour in Los Angeles...

With a little practive it really is possible, but at the same time, you'll start to discover that unless you're well behind your own lines and out of LOS of the enemy, moving in close groups isn't usually a good idea, because you become susceptible to arty on the whole group, or direct fire taking out the vehicles on the ends and jamming up the whole lot. Hitting the front and back vehicles first was a common tactic to trap a convoy or other small group of vehicles.

I don't like to do it, but sometimes I MUST move them in a bulk, maybe it's not much place, maybe 'cause I must rush them over a road to avoid a big kick in my ass. That are exactly the situations when I'm sitting here, roaring abhorrent things to express my emotions smile.gif!

------------------

Keine Gefangenen!

Visit my Combat Mission Sound Mods site!

Use my uncensored Forum for all discussions that getting to hot for here.

Visit Scipiobase

It's more difficult to Fast Move vehicles in a convoy. Ultimately Move is quicker, because they're slower, but they get jammed up less often. I think this is pretty realistic. I'm not saying the inability to swerve is realistic, but have you thought about what it would take to program vehicles to move in convoy? Sure, a simple "follow" command would probably work, but expecting the AI to decide whether a stationary vehicle is an obstruction or not, and whether or not it should wait, swerve, reverse, replot its waypoints or whatever is a bit much. This is a combat simulator, not a convoy simulator.

David

Guest Andrew Hedges

Also, don't forget that, historically, there were a lot of military traffic jams. I was recently reading a Bulge history that discussed how some American General managed to reinforce part of the bulge by sending a huge convoy of vehicles somewhere...but 8 tanks became so damaged just from travelling in the convoy they they had to be refitted.

And of course the Germans had much more serious convoy problems in the bulge.

Admittedly, this is different from the Laurel & Hardy-type situations you sometimes get in CM where 2 StuGs and a HT all try to fit through the same gap in the trees at the same time.